Need Help - Sick Anthias

pnchowdary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of anthias for over 6 months in my display tank. About a week back, I noticed the females tail and dorsal fin was rotting and it was not eating. I caught it and treated it in methylene blue bath for 30 mins and started treating it with Maracyn 2 for fin and tail rot. It continued not eating and died in 2 days. When this happened, I noticed that the male anthias had a small damage at the end of the tail. Yesterday I noticed that the tail rot had progressed a lot, but it was still eating. It took a day for me to catch it. Again I treated it methylene blue bath for 30 mins and started treating it for fin and tail rot, using Maracyn 2, Metroplex and Kanaplex. Ever since I have put it in the hospital tank, it has not eaten anything. I tried frozen mysis shrimp, lrs reef frenzy etc. I dont want to loose this one too, please let me know whether my treatment is correct and what I can do to make it eat. I have attached the video of the anthias to this post.

Please note that all of my other fish seem to be perfectly healthy and the last fish I added was a quarantined hawkfish about a couple of months back.

Any and all advice provided will be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you need any other information from me.

Attachments

• Anthias.mp4
    9.9 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had a pair of anthias for over 6 months in my display tank. About a week back, I noticed the females tail and dorsal fin was rotting and it was not eating. I caught it and treated it in methylene blue bath for 30 mins and started treating it with Maracyn 2 for fin and tail rot. It continued not eating and died in 2 days. When this happened, I noticed that the male anthias had a small damage at the end of the tail. Yesterday I noticed that the tail rot had progressed a lot, but it was still eating. It took a day for me to catch it. Again I treated it methylene blue bath for 30 mins and started treating it for fin and tail rot, using Maracyn 2, Metroplex and Kanaplex. Ever since I have put it in the hospital tank, it has not eaten anything. I tried frozen mysis shrimp, lrs reef frenzy etc. I dont want to loose this one too, please let me know whether my treatment is correct and what I can do to make it eat. I have attached the video of the anthias to this post.

Please note that all of my other fish seem to be perfectly healthy and the last fish I added was a quarantined hawkfish about a couple of months back.

Any and all advice provided will be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you need any other information from me.
This is a severe case and Do not mix kanaplex with Maracyn 2 as they are both similar and you are in essence overdosing. I would recommend a large water change, wait a day and continue with kanaplex for 5-7 days and add air stone ASAP for added oxygen

OP
OP
P

pnchowdary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a severe case and Do not mix kanaplex with Maracyn 2 as they are both similar and you are in essence overdosing. I would recommend a large water change, wait a day and continue with kanaplex for 5-7 days and add air stone ASAP for added oxygen
Thank you very much for the reply. I will change 50% of water now and leave it alone for a day and then start kanaplex treatment. I am already running a bubble filter and powerhead, which might be enough aeration.

I was wondering whether this is a case of fin and tail rot or something else is going on.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you very much for the reply. I will change 50% of water now and leave it alone for a day and then start kanaplex treatment. I am already running a bubble filter and powerhead, which might be enough aeration.

I was wondering whether this is a case of fin and tail rot or something else is going on.
Aggression is obvious and while this looks like fin and tail rot as its bacterial in nature , may have started as nipping/aggresion and progressed

OP
OP
P

pnchowdary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aggression is obvious and while this looks like fin and tail rot as its bacterial in nature , may have started as nipping/aggresion and progressed
You might be correct. I have noticed my convict tang chasing it sometimes. I have changed 50% of the water and will start treating with kanaplex from day after tomorrow. Thanks for your insights and timely help. Appreciate it very much.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on this being from some sort of aggression/damage that then progressed to an infection.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks @vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal for your valuable insights and advice. It’s condition became worse, after I made the 50% water change (with the right temperature water) and it passed away just now.
Oh no - sorry to hear but it was very impacted with it condition and recovery was 50/50.
What Jay and myself often share is with fish like these, the moment you see tail bite or other injury, assume there is an aggressor in the tank.
While not 100% with result, set your cell phone on video mode for about 40 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a jerk at feeding time.
Review the video and see who it may be

OP
OP
P

pnchowdary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no - sorry to hear but it was very impacted with it condition and recovery was 50/50.
What Jay and myself often share is with fish like these, the moment you see tail bite or other injury, assume there is an aggressor in the tank.
While not 100% with result, set your cell phone on video mode for about 40 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a jerk at feeding time.
Review the video and see who it may be
Thanks for the tip, appreciate your help.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back