Need help. Tang is rubbing against rocks...

NCMamacita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello my R2R friends. I have a Blue Hippo Tang who started rubbing against the rocks about 2 days ago. She doesn’t have any spots on her, and her color isn’t fading. From what I’ve read so far, it seems like she may be in the beginning stages of ich or velvet. Do I need to place her in QT, along with my 5 other fish? What type of treatment will they need? Also, if I have to place my lawn mower blenny and diamond goby in QT, what should I feed them? They normally have plenty to eat in the DT. This will be my first “go round” with treating potentially sick fish. Is there a treatment that can be done in my DT? I have lots of coral and CUC in the DT as well. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
NCMamacita

NCMamacita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you added any new live stock in the last few weeks? that includes corals and snails or crabs
I’ve added coral, but I always dip them in Revive before I add to the tank. I also added a cleaner shrimp about 2 weeks ago. Could it be the reason she’s acting strange?

OP
OP
NCMamacita

NCMamacita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the fish today any spots any swimming into the power head?
No spots, no fading. She hasn‘t tried to swim into power head, but she’s still rubbing against the rock every so often. I think I’m going to do a freshwater dip, place her into QT, and treat with copper. I hope she makes it. I’m so attached to my fish already.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No spots, no fading. She hasn‘t tried to swim into power head, but she’s still rubbing against the rock every so often. I think I’m going to do a freshwater dip, place her into QT, and treat with copper. I hope she makes it. I’m so attached to my fish already.

What you just said is the best advice anyone could give you.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I’m a little nervous about the whole process. I’ve watched many, many videos today on how to do it, so wish me luck.

That you already suggested yourself exactly what to do, I feel confident you will do absolutely fine in getting it up and running.

But GOOD LUCK! Break a leg :)

OP
OP
NCMamacita

NCMamacita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - all fish have been removed from DT, freshwater dip for all of them, and all in the QT. I was a little frazzled to see them acting so strange in the dip and hiding in the QT. Fingers crossed they all survive their little hospital stay. Thanks to everyone for their advice.
BTW - my aquascape in my DT looks like crap because we had to remove all the rocks to get to fish. Oh well, guess it was time for a change.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If you feel nervous, dose at 75-80% of the recommended dosage. Remember to remove carbon if you are using any and assure there is adequate oxygen in the tank. Its not complicated- you just have to assure you dont overdose hence my recommendation on % dosage.

OP
OP
NCMamacita

NCMamacita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you feel nervous, dose at 75-80% of the recommended dosage. Remember to remove carbon if you are using any and assure there is adequate oxygen in the tank. Its not complicated- you just have to assure you dont overdose hence my recommendation on % dosage.
I have a HOB filter, minus the carbon, and a wave maker for extra oxygen. Guess I’ll see in the morning who is still alive. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
NCMamacita

NCMamacita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’m at Saturday evening. So far, so good. All but one of the fish is eating. I just bought him (my lawn mower blenny) some algae wafers to see if he will nibble at them. Needless to say, some of the fish act like they’re very upset with me. Swim away and hide when I get near the tank. I keep telling them I’m just trying to help them. Crazy how much I care for these fish...

OP
OP
NCMamacita

NCMamacita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - my tang started rubbing against the PVC pipe in QT yesterday (day #3). She didn’t do this on days 1-2. Can someone let me know if this is normal? Can I dose Prazipro at the same time as Cupramine? I want to make sure I don’t do anything to hurt the fish. Thanks.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have general cure? if you dose cupramine and prazi it will likely cause a bacterial bloom but you can dose general cure which has prazi in it with cupramine with no issues
Update - my tang started rubbing against the PVC pipe in QT yesterday (day #3). She didn’t do this on days 1-2. Can someone let me know if this is normal? Can I dose Prazipro at the same time as Cupramine? I want to make sure I don’t do anything to hurt the fish. Thanks.

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like your Tang is playing mine did the same thing since day one He will lay down on the sand then play PEEK-a-boo with the other fish. He will rub himself on a rock the dart of across the tank.

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 54 55.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 30.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back