Need help? Think im cycled???

Nommarune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I set this tank up 3 days ago used microbe lift special blend and 20lbs of carib live figi sand. Put in one frozen cube of brine shrimp to ghost feed. And I did leave my lights on. Salinity is 1.028. All of my rocks were white except one big purple life rock. Now I have wht appears to be coraline algae taking off on others rocks after two days of adding them.... can I anyone advise if I should try a fish at this point.. my test kit hasn't came in yet. I have been checking my ph was 10.2 two days ago now at 11.01 which means something is eating the alkalinity. Photos attached.

Again. Only two measurements I can take right now.
Salinity 1.028
Ph 11.01 (used a digital tester)

20210610_131229.jpg 20210610_131207.jpg 20210610_131149.jpg 20210610_131105.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im the one always advocating for a timely start without waiting weeks and weeks

on this one Im not sure yet, need more info.

main info: was 100% of your rocks dry when added, or some wet

if all dry, wait longer. if some were wet, we might be able to speed up here after we're certain those growths came in after you added the wet rocks to the tank

we are waiting because microbe lift isn't ideal for cycling compared to 2 day cycling options.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I consider an aquarium cycled if it can handle a certain amount of ammonia, which is not something quite easily determined visibly. So I would not do anything until the test kit comes and you can verify your aquarium is cycled then.

OP
OP
Nommarune

Nommarune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All were dry but the tank was previously ran for years. Was taken down about a week before I got it. I cleaned the main tank and cleaned what I could from the sump in the back. However when I was cleaning the salt deposits in the sump the final layer was still damp. Say this to just give time frame of how I got it. I can confirm these colorations weren't there 2 days ago as I took photos of the rocks and just reviewed them. All rock was dry only live was the sand bed. I can tell you when I cleaned the rocks in salt water before adding to the tank I did have two microbes come out of one of the rocks. Flat looked like centipedes.

OP
OP
Nommarune

Nommarune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, since my kit isnt in I called around till I found a store that would test my water.

Ammonia 1.0ppm
Nitrate 0
Nitrite was just beginning to register. Was 0.5ppm

Not sure as to why I'm seeing the coloring spots on my rocks already, but the tank is definitely not cycled.(which I thought would be too soon.)

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, since my kit isnt in I called around till I found a store that would test my water.

Ammonia 1.0ppm
Nitrate 0
Nitrite was just beginning to register. Was 0.5ppm

Not sure as to why I'm seeing the coloring spots on my rocks already, but the tank is definitely not cycled.(which I thought would be too soon.)
What are you seeing, I am enjoying my new inhabitants

Attachments

• IMG20210608185922.jpg
    IMG20210608185922.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 24

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ya seems like you got the right answer. As for the colored spots it would not be coralline that quick. Starting with dry rock that will not grow on its own(until introduced via frags/etc). It also takes a lot more than 2 days for it to grow enough to be visible.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your 3 days in then no you are not cycled fully at a guess, my diatoms are 6weeks in but same perimeter

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say no until you can actually test for it. Testing is a huge part of reefing and until able to cover the basics I wouldn't be in any rush. If you can't get test kits at least take some water to LFS to be sure.

OP
OP
Nommarune

Nommarune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya seems like you got the right answer. As for the colored spots it would not be coralline that quick. Starting with dry rock that will not grow on its own(until introduced via frags/etc). It also takes a lot more than 2 days for it to grow enough to be visible.
That's why I was shocked. My first tank took for ever to cycle.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starts of coraline algae growth on other rocks that waste there two days ago.
Didn't see other post where you got your water tested. Ammonia still being present without nitrate means the tank is not cycled.

OP
OP
Nommarune

Nommarune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say no until you can actually test for it. Testing is a huge part of reefing and until able to cover the basics I wouldn't be in any rush. If you can't get test kits at least take some water to LFS to be sure.
Just did today they only have the basic but it was enough for me to know my cycle state.

OP
OP
Nommarune

Nommarune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't see other post where you got your water tested. Ammonia still being present without nitrate means the tank is not cycled.
Agreed. I'm still at a loss why the other rocks are spotting with what looks like coraline.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I'm still at a loss why the other rocks are spotting with what looks like coraline.
You're about 6 months too early to be seeing coraline. The rocks will change all sorts of colors when maturing. It's probably another form of algae.

OP
OP
Nommarune

Nommarune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know cycling is the most crucial part of the tank and I do not want to jump the gun on anything. I want the basis of my tank to be as strong as possible so I have as little issues as possible down the road. Especially since this will be skimmerless, I need a very strong bacterial basis. I am using microbe lift special blend, live culture and is what my lfs had. Personally I'm thinking of getting bacter7 or something stronger.
I really appreciate all the answers and support. I have a crap ton to learn still.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%

Back