Need help? Think im cycled???

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know cycling is the most crucial part of the tank and I do not want to jump the gun on anything. I want the basis of my tank to be as strong as possible so I have as little issues as possible down the road. Especially since this will be skimmerless, I need a very strong bacterial basis. I am using microbe lift special blend, live culture and is what my lfs had. Personally I'm thinking of getting bacter7 or something stronger.
I really appreciate all the answers and support. I have a crap ton to learn still.
I'm a strong advocate of live rock. I did mine with dry and decided never again. However this goes against the way people feel about quarantine. If you're like me, add some pieces of established rock to the tank. Find some with coraline already on it. Creates diversity in the tank and you can skip cycling with it and add a fish or 2. Depending on the size of tank and amount of rock added of course.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know cycling is the most crucial part of the tank and I do not want to jump the gun on anything. I want the basis of my tank to be as strong as possible so I have as little issues as possible down the road. Especially since this will be skimmerless, I need a very strong bacterial basis. I am using microbe lift special blend, live culture and is what my lfs had. Personally I'm thinking of getting bacter7 or something stronger.
I really appreciate all the answers and support. I have a crap ton to learn still.
It’s been 3 days dude. Just chill and let it happen

OP
OP
Nommarune

Nommarune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a strong advocate of live rock. I did mine with dry and decided never again. However this goes against the way people feel about quarantine. If you're like me, add some pieces of established rock to the tank. Find some with coraline already on it. Creates diversity in the tank and you can skip cycling with it and add a fish or 2. Depending on the size of tank and amount of rock added of course.
I've thought about it but there is absolutely no way I am buying any rock from my lfs tank. Covered in parasites. I would even buy coral from there and I'm in. A small town so dont really know anyone around here unfortunately.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thought about it but there is absolutely no way I am buying any rock from my lfs tank. Covered in parasites. I would even buy coral from there and I'm in. A small town so dont really know anyone around here unfortunately.
Depending on the pests you talk about it may not even be a big deal. Facebook marketplace or local reefing groups are good choices. Also check the livestock forums on this site. Just put your state into the prefix slot in the filter function. Every pest in the hobby has 5 ways and 20 different chemicals you can buy to fix them. There's no one selling a time machine for matured rock.

OP
OP
Nommarune

Nommarune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the pests you talk about it may not even be a big deal. Facebook marketplace or local reefing groups are good choices. Also check the livestock forums on this site. Just put your state into the prefix slot in the filter function. Every pest in the hobby has 5 ways and 20 different chemicals you can buy to fix them. There's no one selling a time machine for matured rock.
Cyano a white filmy algae green hair and aptasia. I'm sure it would be great for the bacteria but I fought with aptasia in my last tank and I rather not introduce issues if I can help it. I didnt think about fb though I'll check that.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano a white filmy algae green hair and aptasia. I'm sure it would be great for the bacteria but I fought with aptasia in my last tank and I rather not introduce issues if I can help it. I didnt think about fb though I'll check that.
Here’s a top down under white light of my lovely 11 week old tank. Isn’t she pretty?! Lol
100% dry rock and sand. Coralline started up about 3 weeks ago.

Attachments

• 7C791A5D-0796-44B7-9920-947AA00723A1.jpeg
    7C791A5D-0796-44B7-9920-947AA00723A1.jpeg
    294.8 KB · Views: 32

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I'm still at a loss why the other rocks are spotting with what looks like coraline.
It is not coralline, it is either diatoms or cyano, coralline is opaque unlike the coloring you’re seeing on your rocks. Coralline will not start growing for weeks or months if it does at all, and only if it has been introduced to the tank (if your rocks were dry, then it hasn’t been introduced, the purple on caribsea ‘life rocks’ is painted on).

Also, your salinity is too high, add some RO/DI to get it down to 1.025/1.026. Your PH being 10 or 11 is also pretty concerning (I would confirm the PH with a different test, digital PH checkers, especially inexpensive ones can be unreliable), you need to get it down to 8-8.3 before adding anything living (lowering your salinity should bring it down).

Considering that you didn’t start with any real live rock (bagged live sand isn’t that great at starting a cycle, it helps, but it’s not like adding mature live rock), your cycle will take a week or two. The bottled bacteria you used isn’t for starting or cycling a tank, so I don’t know if it will actually get your cycle started. Supposedly the ‘life rocks’ are inoculated with bacteria, but I’ve used them recently and was not impressed with their cycling ability (even with bottled bac, it was a long, weird cycle). I would wait to add any fish until your tank is able to reliably process ammonia to nitrate within 24 hours (get some rest kits), your salinity is 1.025/1.026, and your PH is down to around 8. Once you get your tank to that point, add livestock slowly, and work on maintaining stable parameters.

OP
OP
Nommarune

Nommarune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not coralline, it is either diatoms or cyano, coralline is opaque unlike the coloring you’re seeing on your rocks. Coralline will not start growing for weeks or months if it does at all, and only if it has been introduced to the tank (if your rocks were dry, then it hasn’t been introduced, the purple on caribsea ‘life rocks’ is painted on).

Also, your salinity is too high, add some RO/DI to get it down to 1.025/1.026. Your PH being 10 or 11 is also pretty concerning (I would confirm the PH with a different test, digital PH checkers, especially inexpensive ones can be unreliable), you need to get it down to 8-8.3 before adding anything living (lowering your salinity should bring it down).

Considering that you didn’t start with any real live rock (bagged live sand isn’t that great at starting a cycle, it helps, but it’s not like adding mature live rock), your cycle will take a week or two. The bottled bacteria you used isn’t for starting or cycling a tank, so I don’t know if it will actually get your cycle started. Supposedly the ‘life rocks’ are inoculated with bacteria, but I’ve used them recently and was not impressed with their cycling ability (even with bottled bac, it was a long, weird cycle). I would wait to add any fish until your tank is able to reliably process ammonia to nitrate within 24 hours (get some rest kits), your salinity is 1.025/1.026, and your PH is down to around 8. Once you get your tank to that point, add livestock slowly, and work on maintaining stable parameters.
The kit I have coming has a ph tester in it. So i will double check then. I know the salinity is a little high and I've been adding rodi to bring it down. Will that affect the cycle where it is at?? And would you suggest getting a different bacteria?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kit I have coming has a ph tester in it. So i will double check then. I know the salinity is a little high and I've been adding rodi to bring it down. Will that affect the cycle where it is at?? And would you suggest getting a different bacteria?
Lowering the salinity won’t affect your cycle. I would just lower it all it once (there’s nothing in there it would affect), and then add an appropriate bottled bacteria. If the bacteria and live sand have started your cycle, lowering the salinity won’t hurt it, and might even help it (its not the salinity so much, the Red Sea is 1.028 at the lower end, but the high PH could hinder it). I would absolutely suggest getting a different bacteria, biospira, Dr Tims, or Microbacter7 are all good options.

OP
OP
Nommarune

Nommarune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lowering the salinity won’t affect your cycle. I would just lower it all it once (there’s nothing in there it would affect), and then add an appropriate bottled bacteria. If the bacteria and live sand have started your cycle, lowering the salinity won’t hurt it, and might even help it (its not the salinity so much, the Red Sea is 1.028 at the lower end, but the high PH could hinder it). I would absolutely suggest getting a different bacteria, biospira, Dr Tims, or Microbacter7 are all good options.
Okay just lowered the salinity to 1.025. I also removed the additional floors o had put in to clear the silt from the live sand. That way I have more flow over the buo balls and some rock I had put in the rear media chambers. I guess I'll order some Tim's turbo 900

OP
OP
Nommarune

Nommarune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Salinity now at 1.025 after top off and 1.026 with evaporation. Pulled out my ph kit and recalibrated the ph reader. My tank is sitting at 7.7 ph now.

OP
OP
Nommarune

Nommarune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added dr. Tim's ammonio reached 2ppm yesterday and is back at 1.0ppm still a long way to go day 7 ....

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added dr. Tim's ammonio reached 2ppm yesterday and is back at 1.0ppm still a long way to go day 7 ....
Always best to be patient. Just think, what you have to look forward to is the ugly phase anyway lol.

OP
OP
Nommarune

Nommarune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always best to be patient. Just think, what you have to look forward to is the ugly phase anyway lol.
I'm anxiously waiting lol. The moment I see it clean up crew is going in and refuge in the back is getting set up.

OP
OP
Nommarune

Nommarune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested water again today still 1.0ppm ammonia. Added the remainder of dr. Tim's bottle. Out of sheer boredom I decided to check the left over rock that I put in a bucket with the overfill tank water from adding my scape. This is also the water I scrubbed the rocks with a toothbrush dipped in peroxide to clean them before adding to the dt. Those rocks are browning very fast and the ammonia is 4.0ppm. That bucket has been covered no movement and just sitting on my porch. It's been about 85 degrees out and low 70s at night.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back