Need help to decide on what tank to start with !!

peter1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all i am totally new to all this, but cant wait to have my first setup. Where is the best place to start i was thinking of going head first with a MAX® E Model red reef 250 what are your thoughts

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think a tank around the 4ft long 80 gallons or 120cm 302 liners is best that way you can get a good variety of fish and the tank isn't too big to manage. The equipment change isn't all that much ether as you can use the same skimmer return pump, powerhead and light usually. The Red Sea equilivant of this would be 425 or 350 however cube aquariums can also be very good however your very restricted in terms of fish and certain corals can sting most things in the tank as well as aquascaping being harder

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Thanks for the reply, I would love to go bigger but only room for 3ft tank. Is this still a good size to enjoy this hobby
You can enjoy the hobby with any size tank I just find you have more flexibility with a larger tank. I have seen several amaizing tanks on YouTube that are a small form factor. Essentially you can have a wider range of fish with bigger tanks but the matinance gets more. Go with what you feel comfortable with :)

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank looks pretty slick!
I have a 3' tank also and enjoy it plenty. I would like to go bigger in a few years if I can grow out what I have.

You could probably put something together very similar to the advertised kit for a good deal less, but that's some nice stuff. Love the integrated power switches. Much more attractive than the power strips screwed to my wall.. lol

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ready to go setups are a good choice for beginners. Once you get your feet wet, you may want to eventually plan a build. I'm doing that now with a 40BR.

Three foot tanks make for great starter aquariums. Plenty of options will be open to you at that size...

Welcome to R2R!

OP
OP
P

peter1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are there other ready to go tanks to consider as only came across the red sea reefers. Another question do you need room down the sides and at the back for these tanks . Or can there be flush against the walls

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you want another 36" ready to go tank the waterbox 70.3 would be one to consider alongside the RSR 250. The waterbox gives more volume in the same width. Many people seem to recommend going larger for a first tank, and I agree it allows more of a buffer to swings in tank chemistry, but also comes with a higher startup cost. I personally started with, and am still using, an IM fusion 20 which is an AIO tank and I love it! Granted it limits the fish you can have, and how much coral you can pack in there, but maintenance is a breeze!

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price wise I would recommend either the 20gsl range or the 60-80 gallon range. It’s a big step up once your need to go much larger than a 20-30 gal AIO into a sumped cabinet. If you are doing a garage or non living space tank the a 40gal breeder is a good choice too.

OP
OP
P

peter1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank will be in my living room in my alcove which is 120cm wide but was thinking I need space down the sides

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter what size, you will still have the same issues. If you can get a larger tank, it is easier to maintain than a smaller tank, believe it or not -- especially for a beginner. But a 3' tank, 65 gallon should look gorgeous and I'm anxious to see what you decide. You will be able to do more with a deeper tank vs a narrow one. This forum is willing to help out when we can. Welcome! I'm glad you joined us!
Creature hi.gif

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it depends on your budget. I would rather go with a smaller tank and good equipment than a big tank with cheap equipment.

It also costs a lot more to fill a big tank with rock. And a small fortune on enought coral to make it look good.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are there other ready to go tanks to consider as only came across the red sea reefers. Another question do you need room down the sides and at the back for these tanks . Or can there be flush against the walls
Here are two options:

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it depends on your budget. I would rather go with a smaller tank and good equipment than a big tank with cheap equipment.

It also costs a lot more to fill a big tank with rock. And a small fortune on enought coral to make it look good.
I got a 150 and I kinda wish I had gone a little smaller. It'll just take me alot longer to have it filled in with coral.

bjc451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3 foot 65g and do not like it. For being a small tank it is very hard to work on cuz it’s so tall. I wish I had a 120 4x2x2. Very uniform and way more flexible with livestock.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As has already been said, the ideal depth and height is 24". You will regret any less.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't run an all in one, but you'll most def appreciate having room on the sides in particular. Also, a good 2" on the back is nice, just for power cords or dosing lines. If you plan to use a magnetic algae scraper, the more room the better. Also, just for viewing. Often, the side view is the best one. If you cram your tank into a nook, it has the look of a flat panel television... no real depth.

Once you have some corals (or pests) in there, you'll be looking from all angles to see what's going on ;Shamefullyembarrased

OP
OP
P

peter1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see so I need my space around my tank looks like I am going to struggle with the space I have. And it's the only place I can have the setup

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back