Need help to identify if this snail is good or bad?

OP
OP
NoobReeferMom

NoobReeferMom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is temporary but temporary could be stretched out to a week with several water replacement during the day at time of inspection.

Considering that you are focused on pest that can be seen with naked eye, consider a fine messed breeding basket in the tank
I shall look into one. Thanks.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a gross overexageration, inline, with this new sterilization trend the reef community seems to be on.

Vermitids populate rocks and release a thin thread of mucus when the tank is fed, or the sand bed is stirred. This mucus catches food, detritus, and undisolved nutrients - 60% of which end up being eaten by the vermitid, the other inch, or 40% detaches and is eaten by corals.

The amount of misinformation and lack of critical thinking in reefing trends is truly baffling.

You guys will parrot anything BRS makes a video on and feed the endless cycle of trending scares.

Four years ago everyone was trying to reach zero nitrates because nitrates were bad. Now yall are dosing nitrates because, apparently, nitrates being beneficial to corals is 'new knowledge'. Yikes.

This year its hitchhiker sterilization and having only 3lbs of 'muh real ocean' live rock in a 1,200$ 50g cube tank because muh minimalist aquascapes. Those tanks wont be up in 2 years, because anyone who's reefed for longer than a month knows how important rock is.

Trends in this hobby never cease to surprise me, and, how they divert from everything we learned in the hobby is truly baffling.

Cant wait to see everyone dosing vermitid eggs in 2024.
I know I have those things and I’m ok with it. As long as they don’t bother my corals. I think the key to anything is balance. You need food with bad and bad with good.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fish_Sticks

[Vermitids populate rocks and release a thin thread of mucus when the tank is fed, or the sand bed is stirred. This mucus catches food, detritus, and undisolved nutrients - 60% of which end up being eaten by the vermitid, the other inch, or 40% detaches and is eaten by corals.]

Thank you for this information. Food webs in reef tanks recycle nutrients that establish stability & longevity. Perhaps @Paul B has thoughts on this as well.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never thought I'd see the day where bristleworms suddenly became something people would avoid. When and how did that trend even start? They've always been a longed for and beneficial member of the aquarium microcosm...

Yikes. What's next, no water?
Its part of a concerted effort in the industry to sell 'pest free' dry rock.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pest free, Sterilized, Sanitized:
the big three that contribute to mayhem in our natural reef tanks. If it were not so, we would not have so many post in disease forum. For people, fish, coral and macro the best defense against pathogens is a healthy slime coat and a healthy immune system. Diversity of bacteria are the heart of that immune system.

I have “ocean front property” in Austin with lots of pest free “Texas Holy Rock”.

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mhmm. Mantis shrimp and flatworms I understand. But there is no justification for intentionally avoiding, much less killing, Bristleworms, nudibranch, Aquilonastra stars (most who misidentify as asterina), brittle stars, etc.

Vermitids I can almost understand from an aesthetics stand point. But the misinformation floating around how they harm corals is the most rediculous BS I've ever read. Their mucus catches food and is eaten by corals. What doesnt get eaten turns into detritus which gets stirred up and eaten by corals again.

Hitchiker sterilization and low detritus reefing is going to be seen as the stupidest trend since zero nitrates.

Everything I've written relates to LPS+Softie tanks.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mhmm. Mantis shrimp and flatworms I understand. But there is no justification for intentionally avoiding, much less killing, Bristleworms, nudibranch, Aquilonastra stars (most who misidentify as asterina), brittle stars, etc.

Vermitids I can almost understand from an aesthetics stand point. But the misinformation floating around how they harm corals is the most rediculous crap I've ever read. Their mucus catches food and is eaten by corals. What doesnt get eaten turns into detritus which gets stirred up and eaten by corals again.

Hitchiker sterilization and low detritus reefing is going to be seen as the stupidest trend since zero nitrates.

Everything I've written relates to LPS+Softie tanks.
Vermetids are funny.

There seem to be two basic sorts - the big ones - and they definitely irritate corals. But they grow slowly and are pretty easy to root out. And then the tiny ones - which show up everywhere, but don't seem to cause any trouble.

Probably 90% of the problem posts on this forum basically boil down to people having bought all dry rock and either the tank taking forever to round out - or them getting terrible advice from people who've never dealt with 100% dry rock tanks and the fact that they don't behave at all like LR tanks.

And yes - Dry Rock tanks are SO MUCH HARDER.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back