Need Help To Identify This Algae

ndds73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello Fellow Reefers,

I have this algae that I don't know how to get rid of it. If I clean the plug it will come back and will eventually spread to other rocks. If I dip it in Hydrogen Peroxide it won't die and will come back. And if I'm using Vibrant by Underwater Creations, it won't die - the only thing Vibrant does is to remove SOME of its green color. Can anyone help me to identify what this algae is and how to get rid of it?

PXL_20210427_071024781.jpg
PXL_20210427_071942492.jpg

Thanks in advance.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s valonia and a type of bubble algae. Best bet is to remove frag and scrape it off and return frag to the tank

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello Fellow Reefers,

I have this algae that I don't know how to get rid of it. If I clean the plug it will come back and will eventually spread to other rocks. If I dip it in Hydrogen Peroxide it won't die and will come back. And if I'm using Vibrant by Underwater Creations, it won't die - the only thing Vibrant does is to remove SOME of its green color. Can anyone help me to identify what this algae is and how to get rid of it?

PXL_20210427_071024781.jpg
PXL_20210427_071942492.jpg

Thanks in advanc
What method were you using to remove it from the plug?

OP
OP
N

ndds73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What method were you using to remove it from the plug?
I took it out from the tank and use a separate bowl containing tank water to clean it using a brush. But before brush it off by breaking its bubble I carefully used an exacto knife to cut the root away try not to break the bubble but when the root is lodged inside the root of some zoas I just couldn't remove it without breaking the bubble tube. After cleaning it from one bowl, I dipped and cleaned it with new water from another bowl and then putting it back to the tank. Only to see it came back from the same spot it grew out before. H2O2 or Vibrant won't seem to kill it either.

Yesterday I took a different approach by trying to clean it under running water from a faucet. The thought was that if I break a bubble the running water would just wash it all away. This morning the zoas all open up so now that I know at least zoa won't die under fresh water in short time. I'll keep monitoring it to see if it will come back again.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would think that the running water method would work since the others failed. However it still may be best to just cut the zoas off the plug and either glue then to their permanent home on the rock work or a new plug :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back