NEED HELP WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY TANG

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got home from work today and my tang looks rough the face stuff started a couple weeks ago when I added my yellow tang assumed it was from them fighting when I got home today I saw what looks like it could be ich but not sure couple white dots but not visible under normal light only blues no other fish affected

OP
OP
Mr Cypher

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does have nori available at all times I was more concerned about the bumps he has no color on them show up only in blue light I do run carbon will pull thanks
It looks like the beginning of HHLE, are you running carbon?

There have been connections between HHLE and carbon use and poor diet.

Does he have nori available at all times, offering greens aids in recovery if it is in fact HHLE.

Good luck

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is HLLE, I saved my tang (or at least I want to think I did) by using vitachem and a hufa supplement from continuum. Carbon is fine is just can't tumble/grind and ahs toi be high quality. I use red sea carbon since it has little dust. My tang's hlle started when I used rox carbon in a reactor and I think some of it grinded to dust. Again I don't like to say correlation = causation, but you could always try it.

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with HLLE. But looking closer, it looks like the fish is covered in ich or velvet. Might just be the reflecting of the light not sure. Velvet is dangerous and will kill. Ich wont kill unless it grows into the gills or internally. If that is ich, that is what is causing the HLLE (aka stress). Id start a qt if you can and run copper. If you cant, it risks the fishes life. You can cure the HLLE with enriched vitamin foods. You can a nice frozen food mix, and soak it in vitachem. Garlic enriched foods helps too. Fish can fight off HLLE and ich if they are extremely healthy. Do some research on what you need for qt. Good luck

OP
OP
Mr Cypher

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the bumps on the fish are colorless that was why I turned on the flashlight my striped blenny was rubbing when I got home but no marks to be seen

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the bumps on the fish are colorless that was why I turned on the flashlight my striped blenny was rubbing when I got home but no marks to be seen
Yes - the spots under the fish's eyes is HLLE. That won't be fatal, just disfiguring. Here is an article I posted on that last year:

More bothersome are the tiny spots on the fish's body. I couldn't see if the tang is breathing fast/heavy or not. If so, it could be velvet/Amyloodinium. If not, then it is probably Cryptocaryon/ich. These is a remote chance that it is bacterial.

Is the fish still eating?

Jay

OP
OP
Mr Cypher

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - the spots under the fish's eyes is HLLE. That won't be fatal, just disfiguring. Here is an article I posted on that last year:

More bothersome are the tiny spots on the fish's body. I couldn't see if the tang is breathing fast/heavy or not. If so, it could be velvet/Amyloodinium. If not, then it is probably Cryptocaryon/ich. These is a remote chance that it is bacterial.

Is the fish still eating?

Jay
yes he eats well he is eating nori mysis and some pellets

OP
OP
Mr Cypher

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the crazy thing is in normal light I can't really see the spots none of the other fish seem to be affected and he is not rubbing

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the crazy thing is in normal light I can't really see the spots none of the other fish seem to be affected and he is not rubbing
The fish doesn't appear to be breathing rapidly, so you can rule out velvet. I don't see any classic ich spots, but it is tough to see, There could be some general haziness of the skin - possibly bacterial disease or just excess mucus.

Jay

OP
OP
Mr Cypher

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if they could be stab wounds from the yellow tang do you think it could be flukes? the only reason I ask is my striped blenny rubs off on sand occasionally was going to try and treat just to be sure

OP
OP
Mr Cypher

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update it was Velvet on him exploded in the last couple days lost almost all my fish... bummed out, where to go from here.... inverts won't be affected correct?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back