Need help with 15g reef tank ideas

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i would appreciate any recommendations or ideas for what i could add in my tank, or what tank i should get in general. I have a few things in my shopping cart already, would these be good for a 15g cube nano reef tank? I need to know if some of these are to powerful, not powerful enough, etc. Also would i need a powerhead if the tank i will get comes with a air pump? Thanks.

Tank things:

This is the tank (comes with filtration and air pump):

This are the rocks (dry live rock - 15lb):
This is the heater (50 W):

This is the salt mix:

Lighting:

Sand (20lb):

Epoxy:

Hydrometer:

Net:

Siphon:

Test strips (if someone could give me explanation on how to check the water daily, i would appreciate it):

Fish/inverts:
I am buying all the animals from the live aquaria website. Is that a good place to buy livestock? So far, here are the ideas I have for stocking my tank:
Fish:
Yellow Watchman Goby
1 Occelaris Clownfish
Then either a royal gramma basslet, or what else could be good? I dont want anything aggresive

Invertebrates:
Kenya tree coral
Bubble tip anemone
A few zoanthids

Is that enough for stocking a 15 gallon tank? Should i lessen the amount of fish or corals? Am i missing any equipment that is essential? Sorry that im asking so many questions this will be the first saltwater tank i will ever have.

Thanks a lot!

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i would appreciate any recommendations or ideas for what i could add in my tank, or what tank i should get in general. I have a few things in my shopping cart already, would these be good for a 15g cube nano reef tank? I need to know if some of these are to powerful, not powerful enough, etc. Also would i need a powerhead if the tank i will get comes with a air pump? Thanks.

Tank things:

This is the tank (comes with filtration and air pump):

This are the rocks (dry live rock - 15lb):
This is the heater (50 W):

This is the salt mix:

Lighting:

Sand (20lb):

Epoxy:

Hydrometer:

Net:

Siphon:

Test strips (if someone could give me explanation on how to check the water daily, i would appreciate it):

Fish/inverts:
I am buying all the animals from the live aquaria website. Is that a good place to buy livestock? So far, here are the ideas I have for stocking my tank:
Fish:
Yellow Watchman Goby
1 Occelaris Clownfish
Then either a royal gramma basslet, or what else could be good? I dont want anything aggresive

Invertebrates:
Kenya tree coral
Bubble tip anemone
A few zoanthids

Is that enough for stocking a 15 gallon tank? Should i lessen the amount of fish or corals? Am i missing any equipment that is essential? Sorry that im asking so many questions this will be the first saltwater tank i will ever have.

Thanks a lot!

The formatting here, I’m just saying, is some good sh**! Anyhow, your cart looks super good. If I wanted to setup a smaller tank like that I’d likely buy most of that stuff lol!!! Same brands and everything. A great start into the hobby.

I don’t think you’ll need an air pump for anything really. I also think live aquaria is a good place to buy fish. If possible I’d check local fish prices they surcharged me on a fish once that was $30. I paid $120 :/ .... anyway, I’ve gotten $$$ from them and theyre very reliable and a food seller. i also think your stock list is pretty good however id do 2 clownfish as a pair of them. They’ll probably be more apt to hosting then. Also you could potentially add some CUC or clean up crew like a big conch or something to add some more flavor. I’d say you could get away with some other micro fish and such again for that juicy flavor. More or less corals you can fill that sucker up I’m sure.

I guess for corals sake the only thing would be to consider a stronger more powerful LED (my preference is for LED’s) light. Better growth and colors but they do get really expensive really quick. You might also have luck in the marketplace here or buying used from a friend or something.

Digging it, you should start a build thread so we can watch the progress!!!

Happy reefing!!

Mav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, Welcome to R2R!

The only thing I would change is the light, But while you are waiting for your tank to establish you can certainly use it, just may want to switch it out before an anemone. your stock list looks good have you considered a pistol shrimp for your goby to pair with?

TheSaltyNurse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you end up getting the tank? I would probably wait for a bit before getting an anemone. Make sure you have good parameters. They can be kinda finicky. I would do live sand rather than that sand. I had that sand for my beta tank and it was very hard to clean. A more gravel type sand like Carib alive Fiji has been much easier to clean for me personally.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Get an actual refractrometer. Swing arms are a pita. Some guys on here have working ones. Mine were always way off.
There's a formula from randy holmes to use as calibration fluid, should work for swing arms too. You'd need a .00 graham scale to make the solution.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back