Need help with AFR dosing - not enough mag but too much Alk ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to report that a few days after posting, I retested and the mag had increased to what it was, ie 1360 ppm.

I’ve tested twice since then and the mag is holding at 1360. Alk is a little higher than I’d like around 9,5-9,7 dkh but I’ll leave it at that.

I’m still dosing 5 ml of AFR per day. Coralline seems to like it a lot…

Most corals look happy.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to report that a few days after posting, I retested and the mag had increased to what it was, ie 1360 ppm.

I’ve tested twice since then and the mag is holding at 1360. Alk is a little higher than I’d like around 9,5-9,7 dkh but I’ll leave it at that.

I’m still dosing 5 ml of AFR per day. Coralline seems to like it a lot…

Most corals look happy.
You can always supplement with some Tropic Marin Bio-Magnesium https://www.tropic-marin-smartinfo.com/bio-magnesium?lang=en Hope that is helpful.

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a single data point - but I've been dosing 10ml a day AFR for my little nano (using alk as the benchmark for how much) and my Mg does not move at all. It's the most consistent parameter in the tank. I always wondered if some tanks use more or less trace elements, but mine is spot on with no additional supplementation needed.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a single data point - but I've been dosing 10ml a day AFR for my little nano (using alk as the benchmark for how much) and my Mg does not move at all. It's the most consistent parameter in the tank. I always wondered if some tanks use more or less trace elements, but mine is spot on with no additional supplementation needed.
Mg is a funny one, at least in my experience. I have no scientific explanation for this. But I have worked with MANY people whos systems go from consuming very little Mg, to consuming much more for a few months, then back to consuming very little. I have also seen that work in the reverse. And then there are other systems that just stay stable for a very long time. It is just one parameter, in my opinion, that it is very helpful to keep an eye on, as you just never know what it will do next. (just my experience. Not a general rule by any means!)

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lou Ekus I am going to buy Tropic Marin Bio magnesium powder because I have calculated that with All for reef, the magnesium in the tank is depleted by 2.17 ppm per day while calcium and alkalinity are stable.

Can I make a batch in a jar, stir it thoroughly and then just use whatever amount I need daily without having to stir again ? Will this keep for 4-6 weeks without precipitating ?

Thank you

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lou Ekus I am going to buy Tropic Marin Bio magnesium powder because I have calculated that with All for reef, the magnesium in the tank is depleted by 2.17 ppm per day while calcium and alkalinity are stable.

Can I make a batch in a jar, stir it thoroughly and then just use whatever amount I need daily without having to stir again ? Will this keep for 4-6 weeks without precipitating ?

Thank you
Yes, if you use the correct ratio of powder to RO/DI water, it will stay dissolved after mixed. Look at the Bio-Magnesium Refill section of the website for that ratio. Here is the link:

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, if you use the correct ratio of powder to RO/DI water, it will stay dissolved after mixed. Look at the Bio-Magnesium Refill section of the website for that ratio.

Is this it ?

« To refill the bottle you can fill up 16 oz./450 g crystalline Tropic Marin® Bio-Magnesium with reverse osmosis water to 0.26 US-gal./1 liter solution. »

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back