Need help with algae ID. Not sure if I should be worried or not.

birdman1989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.jpg
2.jpg

So the first 2 pictures show almost a white flower or something taking over the coral.
3.jpg
4.jpg

The 3rd and 4th picture are some kind of red/brown algae. It looks like it is growing arms.
5.jpg

Right beneath the polyp i am seeing this black tentacle looking growth.
6.jpg

This is the same red/brown algae as before, but it has attached to the sea urchin.
All of my corals have come from WWC and were dipped twice. None of them come off with blasting with a turkey baster too much. I can pry the red/brown off somewhat. If anyone can help ID these and recommend a treatment, that would be a great help.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better pics will help, I think the macro algae’s not bad but those zanclea hydroids are some of the worst plagues in the hobby

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg

I grabbed a better camera and turned the light to white...any help is greatly appreciated. I think the 3rd picture is aiptasia anemone
1.) Hydroids.take the coral out of the tank with some water, and rub it gently with a toothbrush. Gets rid of those guys right away. Sometimes they can sting coral so they aren’t always good friends :)
2.) looks like sponges. Harmless filter feeders. But they seem to be smushing your coral, so you may want to gently scrub them with a toothbrush as well.
3.) aptasia. Known for stinging soft corals, especially Zoas. There’s no “Easy” remedy for them, so you may just want to grab the rock that the aptasia is growing on, and throw it away. OR you can make a “superglue tomb”. It’s where you make a circle of glue around it and then glue the top. Just be careful not to touch it when you do this, because they spread really easily.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.) Hydroids.take the coral out of the tank with some water, and rub it gently with a toothbrush. Gets rid of those guys right away. Sometimes they can sting coral so they aren’t always good friends :)
2.) looks like sponges. Harmless filter feeders. But they seem to be smushing your coral, so you may want to gently scrub them with a toothbrush as well.
3.) aptasia. Known for stinging soft corals, especially Zoas. There’s no “Easy” remedy for them, so you may just want to grab the rock that the aptasia is growing on, and throw it away. OR you can make a “superglue tomb”. It’s where you make a circle of glue around it and then glue the top. Just be careful not to touch it when you do this, because they spread really easily.
Lol super glue tomb, that's awesome

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would bin the first two frags with hydroids, they can survive the holocaust, will always come back if you feed small particle foods

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

• I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back