Need help with Alkalinity and calcium dosing

Robert Ranciato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi can any one help. I have a 50 gallon cube mix coral mostly lps. Im currently dosing 11 ml of alkalinity and 2ml of calcium daily but my alkalinity won't go above 7 and my calcium is 510 . I can't figure out why I'm using so much Alkalinity. I use Brightwell not 2 part but regular calcium alkalinity and magnesium. I also dose 2 caps of mag 2x per week. Please Help

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi can any one help. I have a 50 gallon cube mix coral mostly lps. Im currently dosing 11 ml of alkalinity and 2ml of calcium daily but my alkalinity won't go above 7 and my calcium is 510 . I can't figure out why I'm using so much Alkalinity. I use Brightwell not 2 part but regular calcium alkalinity and magnesium. I also dose 2 caps of mag 2x per week. Please Help

You need to stop dosing and figure out your daily consumption rate of these elements. What test kit are you using?

Nooooooooob1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 50 gallon with just LPS I bet you don't even really need to dose if you use reef crystals or similar. You definitely shouldn't need to be dosing as much as you are so I would figure out the tank's consumption rate is.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a log showing how much you've been dosing per day? If you're dosing 11ml per day and the alkalinity isnt increasing, it sounds like that is an appropriate dose. If I'm looking at the correct product in the dosing calculator, 11ml in 50g (not sure what your actual volume is) is only about .5 dKh which isnt anything crazy in regard to demand.

Test your alkalinity
Figure out what .5 dKh equates to in your tank using that calculator.
Dose .5 dKh
Wait an hour or so and retest alkalinity.
Did it increase by the expected amount?

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's an inverse relationship between calcium and alkalinity. I don't fully understand it. You'd have to search on here. In essence, it's hard to raise either parameter if the other is already quite high. Think you'd be safe to stop dosing calcium totally for a week and try to dial in a dose that will slowly push alk to where you would like it.

Calcium should fall to a better range over that time and you can then try an equal dose again.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a log showing how much you've been dosing per day? If you're dosing 11ml per day and the alkalinity isnt increasing, it sounds like that is an appropriate dose. If I'm looking at the correct product in the dosing calculator, 11ml in 50g (not sure what your actual volume is) is only about .5 dKh which isnt anything crazy in regard to demand.

Test your alkalinity
Figure out what .5 dKh equates to in your tank using that calculator.
Dose .5 dKh
Wait an hour or so and retest alkalinity.
Did it increase by the expected amount?

To cover the alkalinity and calcium question: Target your ideal Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium levels and REMAIN consistent with them as corals absolutely need stable environment. These 3 elements directly impact on anther (primarily the relationship between alkalinity and calcium). If there is an in-balance with one element the other is sure to follow. Another important component to coral health is understanding the daily consumption rate of Magnesium, Calcium, and Alkalinity. It is simple to identify the daily consumption rate by ceasing all water changes and supplements additives for a several days. Test all three elements at the same time each day and compare your results afterwards. For example, if ALK for day one was 9.0dkh, day two 8.6dkh, and day three 8.2dkh. This identifies the daily consumption rate of 0.4dkh per day. With two part dosing, dose equal parts of KH and CA.

More Life = consumption of these elements. You need to stop adding supplements to the tank and test at the same time each day and you will find out your actual consumption rate. Heres the thing, there is a pretty wide range that is acceptable to corals you just need to pick a number and stay consistent. For example: KH has an acceptable range of 7-12dkh, calcium has acceptable range of 350 - 500 and magnesium between 1200-1500 (essentially 3 x the amount of your desired calcium). If you experience low levels of calcium you'll notice your KH will be less stable.

Last edited:

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To cover the alkalinity and calcium question: Target your ideal Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium levels and REMAIN consistent with them as corals absolutely need stable environment. These 3 elements directly impact on anther (primarily the relationship between alkalinity and calcium). If there is an in-balance with one element the other is sure to follow. Another important component to coral health is understanding the daily consumption rate of Magnesium, Calcium, and Alkalinity. It is simple to identify the daily consumption rate by ceasing all water changes and supplements additives for a several days. Test all three elements at the same time each day and compare your results afterwards. For example, if ALK for day one was 9.0dkh, day two 8.6dkh, and day three 8.2dkh. This identifies the daily consumption rate of 0.4dkh per day. With two part dosing, dose equal parts of KH and CA.

More Life = consumption of these elements. You need to stop adding supplements to the tank and test at the same time each day and you will find out your actual consumption rate. Heres the thing, there is a pretty wide range that is acceptable to corals you just need to pick a number and stay consistent. For example: KH has an acceptable range of 7-12dkh, calcium has acceptable range of 350 - 500 and magnesium between 1200-1500 (essentially 3 x the amount of your desired calcium). If you experience low levels of calcium you'll notice your KH will be less stable.

If the current calcium and magnesium levels are in a desirable range, there is no reason to dose the calcium portion of the 2-part until the desired alkalinity is achieved. The "balance" between alkalinity and calcium is the consumption in equal parts, matching a specific alkalinity to specific calcium level serves no purpose; anything within a large range is perfectly acceptable. Magnesium needing to be three times that of calcium is no different; anything within its large range is again, perfectly acceptable.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%

Back