Need help with Anemone (I think) hitchhiker

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can’t find a ball anemone pic that looks like it. Now that’s it been under light I’m starting to see bright green in her. Here is another I would liked id. I think I know but would like a experts opinion...

705E7820-B0A6-4AA8-8541-5CDB3F157A18.jpeg FAD10F83-BF47-4DD3-9C49-77D1AF74347B.jpeg 28D1C082-BE36-467A-8DA1-12FCD4E1451B.jpeg A3A538A3-942B-449F-9EA7-85FB986B296D.jpeg

That looks like a Caribbean curlique anemone anemone.

When small they pose little threat but as they get larger they can sting fish. Not as bad ad a carpet anemone though.
They are close to the same family as aptasia but do not multiply as fast but they can still multiply. Allot of people cofuse them with aptasia when small. I would remove it..

Last edited:

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to get rid of it, let me know. I am local to you and have a majano nano, aptasia nano, and a nps nem nano

I will grow it out just to see lol. In all seriousness, I will give it a good home.

remember Aiptasia lives matter!!!!
EB0B13D0-077B-4455-BC22-AA9A9049B7D6.jpeg

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to get rid of it, let me know. I am local to you and have a majano nano, aptasia nano, and a nps nem nano

I will grow it out just to see lol. In all seriousness, I will give it a good home.

remember Aiptasia lives matter!!!!
EB0B13D0-077B-4455-BC22-AA9A9049B7D6.jpeg
OMG lol. You are cool. :)
Those water changes must break the bank

OP
OP
TnFishwater98

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the specimen in #5 pic was a Curley Q. which can be aggressive but I was told they don't move much. Can someone verify the striped specimen is a Curley and not Aiptasia.
The one in the glass vial has bulb like features so it wouldn't be a Glass Anemone but possibly a Majano that lost color in transit? It was in a washed out left over bucket for a couple of days. Water temp def dropped. I saw it right before I dumped the bucket.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The ones you have in the vials look like they could be majanos. Some majanos are invasive, some are fairly well-behaved. Depends on the species. I've seen people who have a couple of majanos they've had for years that never multiply, and I've seen people have them act like aiptasia.

For the possible curleyQ, I don't know how to tell the difference very well. I can tell you that, if you want fish, you probably should not keep a Q. They eat fish. You could try to take it out alive and rehome it, some people like them. Or kill it like how aiptasia are killed.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the specimen in #5 pic was a Curley Q. which can be aggressive but I was told they don't move much. Can someone verify the striped specimen is a Curley and not Aiptasia.
The one in the glass vial has bulb like features so it wouldn't be a Glass Anemone but possibly a Majano that lost color in transit? It was in a washed out left over bucket for a couple of days. Water temp def dropped. I saw it right before I dumped the bucket.
My friend, I am sorry but I am positive that is aiptasia. I can send you a photo of one I’ve had that has been the same size for many years if that helps.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I said earlier in the thread I thought it was a possible Curlique Anemone. Look at the stripes and the tip are different than a aptasia. If it is I would still pull it.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anemone could be a Majano, or a warty coralimorph (rhodactis maybe?)

The other one looks like a Curlyque to me. Very similar to aiptasia, also common hitchhiker from Gulf live rock. It looks similar to the glass anemone that hitched on my gulf live rock, which I never got a definitive ID on years ago. I just let it be and it never spread, never stung anyone. What you have may be different though, I would remove it just in case...

OP
OP
TnFishwater98

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate everyone’s advice. I think I found the anemone in the glass vial is... Does anyone know anything about Light Bulb Anemones from the Gulf? I can find pics but there isn’t a lot of information about them...

2C60753E-C2C3-4281-A8F0-52A6B3E02211.jpeg D26A637F-0DE0-4CB9-8C0D-7747DE1D75AE.jpeg 763D22EB-A5ED-43A8-81BC-9A2AF31CAC54.png 98B64EFD-A426-4964-B6E1-EDC710A6CCF9.jpeg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate everyone’s advice. I think I found the anemone in the glass vial is... Does anyone know anything about Light Bulb Anemones from the Gulf? I can find pics but there isn’t a lot of information about them...

2C60753E-C2C3-4281-A8F0-52A6B3E02211.jpeg D26A637F-0DE0-4CB9-8C0D-7747DE1D75AE.jpeg 763D22EB-A5ED-43A8-81BC-9A2AF31CAC54.png 98B64EFD-A426-4964-B6E1-EDC710A6CCF9.jpeg
Never heard of a light bulb nem. My warty sea nems will bubble up from time to time though. Some also have the striping seen in the photos you posted. Mine are all 3-4 inches though, so much easier to identify. The one you have is tiny, which makes it hard.

OP
OP
TnFishwater98

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of a light bulb nem. My warty sea nems will bubble up from time to time though. Some also have the striping seen in the photos you posted. Mine are all 3-4 inches though, so much easier to identify. The one you have is tiny, which makes it hard.
Dan from Gulf Live Rock said that Light Bulb Anemones were known to be on his LR...Then I found pics on the net which show Light Bulb Anemones in the Gulf but no other facts.... I’m feeding it and refreshing water 2-3 times a day as she floats in the glass vial... I have 20lbs of LR from 2 different shipments in two different quarantine tanks. Might start a new post because I need help tying my 55 display with a side by side sump and refugium...I would like to plumb them separate if advised.

Last edited:

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dan from Gulf Live Rock calmed them Light Bulb Anemones were on his LR...Then I found pics on the net which show Light Bulb Anemones in the Gulf but no other facts.... I’m feeding it and refreshing water 2-3 times a day as she floats in the glass vial... I have 20lbs of LR from 2 different shipments in two different quarantine tanks. Might start a new post because I need help tying my 55 display with a side by side sump and refugium...I would like to plumb them separate if advised.
I have tried finding a scientific name for “light bulb nem” as well, but no luck. Again, if you decide you do not want the nem or risk it, I would love to grow it out in one of my smaller tanks for things not wanted in a reef.

As for the plumbing, new thread in the appropriate section would be good. Just be sure to post pics and such, as those help a ton with figuring out plumbing and what you want to do.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dan from Gulf Live Rock said that Light Bulb Anemones were known to be on his LR...Then I found pics on the net which show Light Bulb Anemones in the Gulf but no other facts.... I’m feeding it and refreshing water 2-3 times a day as she floats in the glass vial... I have 20lbs of LR from 2 different shipments in two different quarantine tanks. Might start a new post because I need help tying my 55 display with a side by side sump and refugium...I would like to plumb them separate if advised.

I am not sure I would put it back in.. Those pics look like some type of aptasia and there are pretty many on those rocks meaning they may spread rapidly. I could find little info on them. Some of the info said Texas which could mnean cooler water so I doubt they are the same thing. Common names are garbage sometimes for identification.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The ones in the vial aren't aiptasia. The ones on the rock pretty much definitely are. The ones in the vial are, however, possibly a species that might be a problem.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get a green bubble tip! Vendor pricing is $18 dollars so you should find one relatively cheap. That way you don’t have to worry about anything and they are pretty!

OP
OP
TnFishwater98

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried finding a scientific name for “light bulb nem” as well, but no luck. Again, if you decide you do not want the nem or risk it, I would love to grow it out in one of my smaller tanks for things not wanted in a reef.

As for the plumbing, new thread in the appropriate section would be good. Just be sure to post pics and such, as those help a ton with figuring out plumbing and what you want to do.
I’m going to let it grow a bit and see if it is a lightbulb. On the 2nd shipment of rock I think I found another one. This one is attached to the rock and has more color. Feeding both brine shrimp and eggs. One in vial floats all day and I change water out 2-3 times a day. Steve I might have a Eunice worm if you are interested. Either way if this is a Majano I’ll send your way and if it’s a light bulb nem I’ll send you a offspring.
I’ll make a new post on what I’m working with for my 55display. I’ll post better close up pics. This is my main tank with 2 quarantine tanks with LR and 55 display. I want to turn the two quarantine tanks Into sump and refugium. with a separate plumbing. That way I could possibly disconnect refugium from display and use as a quarantine when needed...?....

831666BF-9CF2-4DB1-87DC-882D65EC0E74.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TnFishwater98

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure I would put it back in.. Those pics look like some type of aptasia and there are pretty many on those rocks meaning they may spread rapidly. I could find little info on them. Some of the info said Texas which could mnean cooler water so I doubt they are the same thing. Common names are garbage sometimes for identification.
I read accounts from Texas on where some Light Bulb Nems were found and the temps flux from 88degrees-66water temps..

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to let it grow a bit and see if it is a lightbulb. On the 2nd shipment of rock I think I found another one. This one is attached to the rock and has more color. Feeding both brine shrimp and eggs. One in vial floats all day and I change water out 2-3 times a day. Steve I might have a Eunice worm if you are interested. Either way if this is a Majano I’ll send your way and if it’s a light bulb nem I’ll send you a offspring.
I’ll make a new post on what I’m working with for my 55display. I’ll post better close up pics. This is my main tank with 2 quarantine tanks with LR and 55 display. I want to turn too quarantine tanks I can turn into a refugium with a separate plumb sump below. That way I could possibly disconnect refugium from display and use as a quarantine when needed...?....

831666BF-9CF2-4DB1-87DC-882D65EC0E74.jpeg
You certainly won’t want to do that if you are planning on ever treating the qt with copper as residual amounts will leech back into the system when you add it back and could end up causing some big issues down the road. Copper will decimate all the beneficial bacteria in the fuge.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back