Need help with Anemone (I think) hitchhiker

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to let it grow a bit and see if it is a lightbulb. On the 2nd shipment of rock I think I found another one. This one is attached to the rock and has more color. Feeding both brine shrimp and eggs. One in vial floats all day and I change water out 2-3 times a day. Steve I might have a Eunice worm if you are interested. Either way if this is a Majano I’ll send your way and if it’s a light bulb nem I’ll send you a offspring.
I’ll make a new post on what I’m working with for my 55display. I’ll post better close up pics. This is my main tank with 2 quarantine tanks with LR and 55 display. I want to turn too quarantine tanks I can turn into a refugium with a separate plumb sump below. That way I could possibly disconnect refugium from display and use as a quarantine when needed...?....

831666BF-9CF2-4DB1-87DC-882D65EC0E74.jpeg
Awesome. If you have a bobbit, I will take it. That would be an awesome addition to my majano tank. It has a 6-7” deep sand bed, so would be fitting. It would get a diet of grass shrimp and guppies from my sons planted tank. Just PM me if you do and when you catch it.

OP
OP
TnFishwater98

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. If you have a bobbit, I will take it. That would be an awesome addition to my majano tank. It has a 6-7” deep sand bed, so would be fitting. It would get a diet of grass shrimp and guppies from my sons planted tank. Just PM me if you do and when you catch it.
It’s caught ..Just need to verify species

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep, looks like a eunice worm. Doesn't mean it's a bobbit, though. Bobbit worms are one species of eunice worms, one out of quite a few. Some species are large and will eat things you like, some are fairly small and eat little bugs, some are tiny and harmless.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not a bristle worm. I’ve always thought LFS should have a display tank of all the bad hitchhikers for peeps to view..

7E35195A-019B-4CDC-9F7A-CB743FD266BC.jpeg
You should be able to see 2 mandibles folded in at the mouth if it is a bobbit. I also believe bobbits have 5 tentacles around the mandibles.

One thing to identify bobbits is the hard shell they have around them. Some Eunice worms do not have a shell, but all bobbits do.

Bobbits will also strike pipettes with a bit of mysis or something placed in front of them. They cannot see, so go off of smell and taste. They are especially aggressive when out in the open and messed with.

OP
OP
TnFishwater98

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to see 2 mandibles folded in at the mouth if it is a bobbit. I also believe bobbits have 5 tentacles around the mandibles.

One thing to identify bobbits is the hard shell they have around them. Some Eunice worms do not have a shell, but all bobbits do.

Bobbits will also strike pipettes with a bit of mysis or something placed in front of them. They cannot see, so go off of smell and taste. They are especially aggressive when out in the open and messed with.
Then I had a Bobbit last batch. Looked like a hard shell centipede. It was flushed.Are all Eunice worms bad?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I had a Bobbit last batch. Looked like a hard shell centipede. It was flushed.Are all Eunice worms bad?
I would not say bad overall, but generally need a species dedicated tank or something similar. The fact most are opportunistic tends to be the problem more often than not.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s not a bristle worm. I’ve always thought LFS should have a display tank of all the bad hitchhikers for peeps to view..

7E35195A-019B-4CDC-9F7A-CB743FD266BC.jpeg

Hard to tell but that looks more like a peanut worm and harmless and can be beneficial..
Is it smooth? Looks like it is.. Eunice would be segmented.

OP
OP
TnFishwater98

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here’s is one that matches the one in the glass vial that I believe is a lightbulb Anemone but could be Majano..Tell me your thoughts

B03021E8-7977-49D5-A873-A92B58D6913E.jpeg 5B5EBB8C-B528-4518-921B-21F40C48B29A.jpeg D3BF8279-685F-4B8E-BA16-A540DBB8D973.jpeg AC472941-B1F7-4FA3-B552-DB08E11EDE63.jpeg

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure that "lightbulb anemone" isn't just another name for a majano, at this point. Therein lies the trouble with common names. That one in these pics looks a lot like a majano. Some species are well-behaved(ish), some are pests, and they're pretty dang hard to tell apart. Probably better to kill it.

OP
OP
TnFishwater98

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure that "lightbulb anemone" isn't just another name for a majano, at this point. Therein lies the trouble with common names. That one in these pics looks a lot like a majano. Some species are well-behaved(ish), some are pests, and they're pretty dang hard to tell apart. Probably better to kill it.
Is there something to look for that could determine it’s a Majano?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back