Need help with bubble algae treatment and nutrients

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!
I have a few questions about resolving a bubble algae issue. For the past month or two I have been battling bubble algae. Some background on my tank- I have a macro algae refugium that seems to have good growth with high lighting, but the macro algae can't seem to outcompete the valonia.
I currently don't run my skimmer much if at all as with my refugium and daily feedings, my phosphates and nitrates are in a good spot and I have some corals I believe benefit like Sinularia, Goniopora and Cynarina. I have had poor to no coral growth in the last few months, which could be attributed to ATO issues and spikes in salinity.
However, I am beginning to suspect that the bubble algae is the primary consumer of my nutrients (hence the low growth).
I have debated using Vibrant and transferring my macro algae to another temporary holding tank, and reactivation my skimmer. I am hesitant to use emerald crabs. I have tried extensive manual removal but it always comes back.
What would be the best course of action here given my setup? Should I be concerned about potential pH loss with my macroalgae being removed?
THANKS

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Although rabbit fish and emerald crabs will eat them, I prefer reducing light intensity and adding liquid vibrant at 80% for a week
Emerald crabs do well but I don’t trust them around zoa

OP
OP
Wasabiroot

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input vetteguy. What I am mainly wondering is, is Vibrant worth the risk, and am I potentially on to something re my nutrients?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back