Need help with calcium levels

duckeram85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help I live in Lexington and own a 120gl display with roughly 75gl of filter volume I recently began to attempt to keep SPS and so I started monitoring Calcium & Alkalinity I got my Alk to a stable 8.2 but ever since then my calcium has risen 20-30ppm every day I use a Hanna checker for both and all my solutions are not expired I have searched the forums to no avail I turned off the Calcium dosing and the Automatic water change but still no change it just keeps increasing? Hoping to god my Hanna Checker is just dieing out but need help to figure it out and was hoping there may be a fellow reefer in the Tates Creek Center area of Lexington willing to run a calcium test for me?

OP
OP
duckeram85

duckeram85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help I live in Lexington and own a 120gl display with roughly 75gl of filter volume I recently began to attempt to keep SPS and so I started monitoring Calcium & Alkalinity I got my Alk to a stable 8.2 but ever since then my calcium has risen 20-30ppm every day I use a Hanna checker for both and all my solutions are not expired Ihave searched the forums to no avail I turned off the Calcium dosing and the Automatic water change but still no change it just keeps increasing? Hoping to god my Hanna Checker is just drying out but need help to figure it out and was hoping there may be a fellow reefer in the Tates Creek Center area of Lexington willing to run a calcium test for me?

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help I live in Lexington and own a 120gl display with roughly 75gl of filter volume I recently began to attempt to keep SPS and so I started monitoring Calcium & Alkalinity I got my Alk to a stable 8.2 but ever since then my calcium has risen 20-30ppm every day I use a Hanna checker for both and all my solutions are not expired I have searched the forums to no avail I turned off the Calcium dosing and the Automatic water change but still no change it just keeps increasing? Hoping to god my Hanna Checker is just dieing out but need help to figure it out and was hoping there may be a fellow reefer in the Tates Creek Center area of Lexington willing to run a calcium test for me?
There was a reefer there that moved to Texas in the last 6 mos. You just missed him.

As far as controlling your alkalinity/magnesium/calcium the best resource I've found is here: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry

The best resource for specific chemistry questions is here on this forum https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/reef-chemistry-by-randy-holmes-farley.295/

Good luck finding the issue.

OP
OP
duckeram85

duckeram85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look over that article the one issue it does not cove is correct Alk with high Calcium. Is there any reefer in Lexington who has a calcium checker willing to let me bring a test over and test my water before I freak out and make a stupid change for nothing? I can meet some where or you can come to my house or I can come to yours what ever is best?

There was a reefer there that moved to Texas in the last 6 mos. You just missed him.

As far as controlling your alkalinity/magnesium/calcium the best resource I've found is here: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry

The best resource for specific chemistry questions is here on this forum https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/reef-chemistry-by-randy-holmes-farley.295/

Good luck finding the issue.

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look over that article the one issue it does not cove is correct Alk with high Calcium. Is there any reefer in Lexington who has a calcium checker willing to let me bring a test over and test my water before I freak out and make a stupid change for nothing? I can meet some where or you can come to my house or I can come to yours what ever is best?
I have a Hanna checker, I'd be happy to test it. Other resources would be MVP in Beaumont center or Seann at Petropolis in Lawrenceburg.

Last edited:

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your issue is in zone 4 in the article BTW.

Last edited:
OP
OP
duckeram85

duckeram85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill that would be awesome I called over to MVP they told me they do not test for Calcium and Vince was not around the store today and KYSaltwater Supply is no longer available and the pet store on Southland drive apparently got bought out and the new owner is no longer doing saltwater anything??? If we could exchange info some how privately or I can put my email on here I would greatly appreciate you running a test for me.

I have a Hanna checker, I'd be happy to test it. Other resources would be MVP in Beaumont center or Sean at Petropolis in Lawrenceburg.

jilnifer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, exactly what are your other parameters? Alkalinity and calcium are connected which also means pH is connected to calcium. What are the exact numbers for everything in your tank?

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill that would be awesome I called over to MVP they told me they do not test for Calcium and Vince was not around the store today and KYSaltwater Supply is no longer available and the pet store on Southland drive apparently got bought out and the new owner is no longer doing saltwater anything??? If we could exchange info some how privately or I can put my email on here I would greatly appreciate you running a test for me.
Vince is the only one left in town for the time being. Seann is just a bit further out. I'm fairly confident Vince can test for calcium although he may not formally offer the service to customers. PM me if you want me to test it.

OP
OP
duckeram85

duckeram85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH 8.15
Cal 546
Alk 7.8(it dropped by .4 today I increased it by 4.4ml to compensate and will retest tomorrow

So, exactly what are your other parameters? Alkalinity and calcium are connected which also means pH is connected to calcium. What are the exact numbers for everything in your tank?

jilnifer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you running your temperature? What are you using to bring your alkalinity up? I have the Hanna Checker calcium calibration reagents if you want to test your tester. I can test your water too.

As Bill pointed out to you in the article by Randy Holmes, your alkalinity and calcium are out of whack. Your focus should be on getting your alkalinity stable. This will stabilize your calcium. At this point, stable alkalinity is more important than high calcium. High calcium will not harm your coral or fish.

OP
OP
duckeram85

duckeram85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
running temp is 77.9
Im using BRS 2 Part with a BRS 1.1ml dosing 12 times a day normally on an every other hour interval with calcium but currently calcium is shut off completely.

and I absolutely agree getting my ALk up and stable will hopefully bring my parameters back down and stable. I am currently increasing the dose of ALK and will test when I get home tonight and i have increased my Auto-Water changer to 4- 1gl water changes through out the day (i.e. 1gl ever 6 hours. goal is 20gl water change over the next 5 days which is 20% of my total water volume). My water change reservoir has Fritz RPM with a Calcium of 400 and an ALK of 8.0-9.0 so hopefully this will also help bring the levels to a more stable and ideal parameter over the next few days.

What are you running your temperature? What are you using to bring your alkalinity up? I have the Hanna Checker calcium calibration reagents if you want to test your tester. I can test your water too.

As Bill pointed out to you in the article by Randy Holmes, your alkalinity and calcium are out of whack. Your focus should be on getting your alkalinity stable. This will stabilize your calcium. At this point, stable alkalinity is more important than high calcium. High calcium will not harm your coral or fish.

Robsk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
running temp is 77.9
Im using BRS 2 Part with a BRS 1.1ml dosing 12 times a day normally on an every other hour interval with calcium but currently calcium is shut off completely.

and I absolutely agree getting my ALk up and stable will hopefully bring my parameters back down and stable. I am currently increasing the dose of ALK and will test when I get home tonight and i have increased my Auto-Water changer to 4- 1gl water changes through out the day (i.e. 1gl ever 6 hours. goal is 20gl water change over the next 5 days which is 20% of my total water volume). My water change reservoir has Fritz RPM with a Calcium of 400 and an ALK of 8.0-9.0 so hopefully this will also help bring the levels to a more stable and ideal parameter over the next few days.

I wonder if the combination of dosing AND adding saltwater on a daily basis is contributing to the rise. You might just not have enough going on to use up everything that is being added daily.

Milktooth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seann over at Petropolis in Lawrenceburg is awesome and very helpful. I can run anything back and forth from there to Lexington because I work in Frankfort and it's only a minor detour to drive through Lawrenceburg plus I'm always looking for an excuse to visit. I could run a water sample to Seann for you DuckerAM.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 162 61.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 91 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 45 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.2%
Back