Need help with cause of death to try and save the rest

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I literally just got this fish Tuesday and came home to him being dead. I've got 2 others in the QT, so I need to know what this is to try and keep the others from getting it. Can anyone help me ID what appears to be the COD?
Resized_20200123_190452.jpeg
20200123_191645.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frayed fins, red sores looks like a bacterial infection. We've seen some fish coming like this over the last months, so some have started wide spectrum antibiotics as soon as the fish is placed into a QT. Spectrogram or the trifecta of Furan2 + Kanaplex + Metro helps the fish's immune system.
Usually a bacterial infection is a secondary actor. Something else has weakened the fish's immune system to the point where a bacterial infection sets in. Could be parasites, injury, stress, poor water quality, toxic collection practices, etc.

Here's @Humblefish 's discussion and treatment advisory. Notice the pictures. A couple look very much like your fish.

OP
OP
MamaP

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frayed fins, red sores looks like a bacterial infection. We've seen some fish coming like this over the last months, so some have started wide spectrum antibiotics as soon as the fish is placed into a QT. Spectrogram or the trifecta of Furan2 + Kanaplex + Metro helps the fish's immune system.
Usually a bacterial infection is a secondary actor. Something else has weakened the fish's immune system to the point where a bacterial infection sets in. Could be parasites, injury, stress, poor water quality, toxic collection practices, etc.

Here's @Humblefish 's discussion and treatment advisory. Notice the pictures. A couple look very much like your fish.

Thank you for your quick response @Big G . I got a bad batch of water from the LFS. I have 2 buckets full of what looks like algae-filled pond water in what was supposed to be FW that I made my SW in. I didn't know it was bad until the other 2 buckets appeared that way after mixing for several hours and by then I already had the fish in some of it (in the first bucket).

I suspect ammonia had something to do with it, even though I dosed Prime twice (once each day), but he wasn't acting right (gulping at the surface) after 24 hours, so I tested for flukes w/FW dip. No flukes. Due to the bad water (it literally looks like someone gave me pond water instead of RODI) and the fact that he clearly had something already going on, I'm going to ask them to replace him or refund me for him. Sad, he was a gorgeous Lemon Peel Angel. :( I will transfer the other 2 little guys to a new QT bucket with new SW I purchased today and start them on ABX, just in case it was something contagious.

Thank you again! ~Amy

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back