Need help with coral issues

TheWackyWiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

My corals seem to be having some issues since moving my fish to QT and I am hoping to get your guidance. The tank has been fallow for a little over a month now and I have tried to keep nutrients up in the tank but have also started direct feeding every couple of days in hopes of keeping my corals thriving. Over the last week though they all seem to be doing poorly.

Current Params
Calcium=420ppm
kH= 214.8ppm
Phos= 0ppm
Nitrate= 0ppm
Salinity=1.027ppm

The nutrients are a bit low because I am also dealing with a rust flatworm outbreak and have been manually removing them and topping back up every other day.

9472104A-4633-4FA9-AE7D-A3A1C890AF75_1_105_c.jpeg

My torch has noticeably shrunk and seems to have a big chunk missing from its base. It still livens up when I feed it
CB7D2D9D-6327-443A-9FCB-EEECE2999F0F_1_105_c.jpeg

The top of this Monti turned orange it looks dead/unhealthy
1E2B6B62-DBA3-49A7-8242-59BF1A284668_1_105_c.jpeg

27442D57-FBE5-46F1-93C8-47182228FDD8_1_105_c.jpeg

Both of my Zoas have been staying closed more and more.

And Finally this mushroom went from thriving to now looking shrunken and ragged at the edges.
EEF9A06A-43EF-4D61-BD17-A0598DF89D60_1_105_c.jpeg

Aside from moving the fish to QT nothing else has really changed. One thing I am concerned about is contamination from previously washed filter socks. I make sure to always wash them twice with just water after I've run them through a bleach cycle but don't know if this is contributing?

Any advice for what to test for/do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Naso110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing I noticed is ur salt is a bit high. Also what's the temperature? Reason I ask is as temp and salinity increase O2 levels decrease, especially if you don't have much surface turbulence or a skimmer. Not sure what u have but maybe low dissolved oxygen.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWackyWiz

TheWackyWiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing I noticed is ur salt is a bit high. Also what's the temperature? Reason I ask is as temp and salinity increase O2 levels decrease, especially if you don't have much surface turbulence or a skimmer. Not sure what u have but maybe low dissolved oxygen.
dang my digital thermometer broke but I can say the water feels like it's the same temp is always is. I try to keep it around 77°F all the time.

I tried using Brightwell's NeoNitro to get some nutrients back in there but it hasn't had a noticeable impact. The bottle says if it doesnt work then it might be carbon limited but I have no idea what that means?

Upvote 0

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

My corals seem to be having some issues since moving my fish to QT and I am hoping to get your guidance. The tank has been fallow for a little over a month now and I have tried to keep nutrients up in the tank but have also started direct feeding every couple of days in hopes of keeping my corals thriving. Over the last week though they all seem to be doing poorly.

Current Params
Calcium=420ppm
kH= 214.8ppm
Phos= 0ppm
Nitrate= 0ppm
Salinity=1.027ppm

The nutrients are a bit low because I am also dealing with a rust flatworm outbreak and have been manually removing them and topping back up every other day.

9472104A-4633-4FA9-AE7D-A3A1C890AF75_1_105_c.jpeg

My torch has noticeably shrunk and seems to have a big chunk missing from its base. It still livens up when I feed it
CB7D2D9D-6327-443A-9FCB-EEECE2999F0F_1_105_c.jpeg

The top of this Monti turned orange it looks dead/unhealthy
1E2B6B62-DBA3-49A7-8242-59BF1A284668_1_105_c.jpeg

27442D57-FBE5-46F1-93C8-47182228FDD8_1_105_c.jpeg

Both of my Zoas have been staying closed more and more.

And Finally this mushroom went from thriving to now looking shrunken and ragged at the edges.
EEF9A06A-43EF-4D61-BD17-A0598DF89D60_1_105_c.jpeg

Aside from moving the fish to QT nothing else has really changed. One thing I am concerned about is contamination from previously washed filter socks. I make sure to always wash them twice with just water after I've run them through a bleach cycle but don't know if this is contributing?

Any advice for what to test for/do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Your tank is very young for corals but I guess I will not be the only one saying this

you have 0 phosphate and nitrate and LPS will not tolerate that. You want to have 5-20 nitrate and 0.03 + phosphate.

salinity is high. If you don’t have ATO it is time to invest. My experience that LPS are miserable for rapid changes.

alkalinity is not listed but my LPS really kicked of since I have increased mine above 8.5 and any swings in alkalinity makes them looking like a newborn bite the lemon first time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWackyWiz

TheWackyWiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is very young for corals but I guess I will not be the only one saying this

you have 0 phosphate and nitrate and LPS will not tolerate that. You want to have 5-20 nitrate and 0.03 + phosphate.

salinity is high. If you don’t have ATO it is time to invest. My experience that LPS are miserable for rapid changes.

alkalinity is not listed but my LPS really kicked of since I have increased mine above 8.5 and any swings in alkalinity makes them looking like a newborn bite the lemon first time.
I appreciate the feedback! I should clarify that the tank is ~8months old, it's just been fallow for a month while I treat my fish for Ich. I've got the ATO running but have been slacking in the water change department now that their is a lower bioload in there.

Wondering if I should do a big prune of my chaeto to try to increase the available nutrients?

Also got my thermometer working again and the tank is actually at 83°F. So I think i'll bump that down.

Is alkalinity different than kH?

Upvote 0

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the feedback! I should clarify that the tank is ~8months old, it's just been fallow for a month while I treat my fish for Ich. I've got the ATO running but have been slacking in the water change department now that their is a lower bioload in there.

Wondering if I should do a big prune of my chaeto to try to increase the available nutrients?

Also got my thermometer working again and the tank is actually at 83°F. So I think i'll bump that down.

Is alkalinity different than kH?
It is the same but the number you give make no sense to me.
you say kH= 214.8ppm in your tank. I measure mine in dkh not ppm and I have 8.1-8.5 which is 89.1 - 93.5ppm.
the elevated alk is 12dkh which is 132ppm. If your measurements are correct you have more than double of any recommended levels and that is a big issue. if your decimal is in the wrong place than your alk is way too low.
I suggest test it again ind if it is correct you have to correct it with water changes.
If you are doing anything increase alk stop now.

as per phosphate and nitrate reduce the lighting period over the chaeto and / or trim it back

Upvote 0
Back