Need help with cyano

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dealing with this for a few months, phosphates .01 hannah and triton, nitrates 0.5-1 red sea pro. 150 gallon aquarium and I change at least 15 gallons per week including vacuuming the gravel, using rodi water with 0 tds. High flow, so much my zoas are staying closed now. Tried chemiclean with no luck. Most of it dissappear with lights off at night but back the next day. Radion xr30w gen3 pro lights x2 with red and green off and max 24 on whites. Please any suggestions, I skim wet and have algae turf scrubber. 3 total fish fed 1x day with Lrs fish frenzy. Any suggestions because I read cyano is caused by high and low phosphates?

20170918_183225.jpg

20170918_183212.jpg

20170918_183151.jpg

20170918_183219.jpg

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure you don't have cyano.
You can test for it you know ;).
Your No3 is to low and that's why this stuff is appearing on your sand.
Mix you food with 5 ml oyster feast, use only frozen food as in Mysis, Brine, caviar and LRS reef frenzy, don't rinse you food either.
Start feeding your tank slowly and small portions at the time, better feed 10 small portions than 1 big one.

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can test for it you know ;).
Your No3 is to low and that's why this stuff is appearing on your sand.
Mix you food with 5 ml oyster feast, use only frozen food as in Mysis, Brine, caviar and LRS reef frenzy, don't rinse you food either.
Start feeding your tank slowly and small portions at the time, better feed 10 small portions than 1 big one.
How do you test for cyano?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh...... most ppl don't ask but you can take some of the rock or sand and place into a clear cup with tank water.
Add a few drops of Hydro Peroxide to it and if it change color in a few hours it ain't Cyano.
Now what can it be if it ain't.............. :rolleyes:

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you think it's dinoflagellates? Like the OP, my nitrate level is very low and my phosphates undetectable. Corals are all thriving, mixed reef, lots of current and light, but I'm seeing something like this on the sand. Cyano doesn't make sense in this setting. Sprung's Algae book suggests possible dinoflagellates.

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh...... most ppl don't ask but you can take some of the rock or sand and place into a clear cup with tank water.
Add a few drops of Hydro Peroxide to it and if it change color in a few hours it ain't Cyano.
Now what can it be if it ain't.............. :rolleyes:
I will try that, thanks!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it's dinoflagellates? Like the OP, my nitrate level is very low and my phosphates undetectable. Corals are all thriving, mixed reef, lots of current and light, but I'm seeing something like this on the sand. Cyano doesn't make sense in this setting. Sprung's Algae book suggests possible dinoflagellates.

Nah no dino's in play here, well not yet.
All has to do with poor water quality if you ask me.
If the red field ratio is in check in the tank everything will fall in place.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say poor water quality what do you mean? To clean?

Not necessary dirty water.
Low nutrients is already a form a poor water quality as at first your starving your bacteria and secondly your corals with it.
If a tank is poor in water quality in some cases you can simply fix that with adding nutrients to the tank and small water changes.
The bacteria population is IMO the best you can have for a healthy tank, when that is of balance there is not much you can do to correct most problems.

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessary dirty water.
Low nutrients is already a form a poor water quality as at first your starving your bacteria and secondly your corals with it.
If a tank is poor in water quality in some cases you can simply fix that with adding nutrients to the tank and small water changes.
The bacteria population is IMO the best you can have for a healthy tank, when that is of balance there is not much you can do to correct most problems.
I am going to try smaller more frequent feedings, so far coral look good, Sps growing, Zoas growing.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it help any with guess of what it is? I will start feeding more, small frequent feedings.

The mix you add is the purpose of feeding your fish.
In return they will give you some much needed rich poop to feed your corals.

In guessing of what......... cyano?
By doing the test you rule out the cyano part and start treating your tank for algae.
By treating you tank due to better feedings and with that recovering your Eco balance is at the end battling any algae.
Of course you should always have a form of moderate algae in any tank as that is your gage that the balance is still good

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to try smaller more frequent feedings, so far coral look good, Sps growing, Zoas growing.

You have a FTS to look at?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back