Need help with Dino microscope ID

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help with ID? I believe it’s dino. So far it’s only on the sandbed and disappears without light and at night. I did a 3 day dark period and knocked it back a little but it’s back fully now. It originally started at the end of a fallow period where my nitrates hit zero. My nitrates have been steady at 8 and phosphates 0.07 for a month now. Also been running 9W UV for 70 gallons. I just started another lights out period plus hydrogen peroxide twice daily. Also just got dr tims Dino tx of waste away and refresh I will be using when I get back from a short vacation. Below are the pics I got at max power for my cheap digital microscope. I have videos but can't seem to get them to upload. Is it amphidinium?
unnamed-9.jpg

unnamed-10.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like amphidium
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

OP
OP
dbleoh7

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like amphidium
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly
Dr. Tims Waste Away + Refresh will do the same as bacter 7 correct? The directions that came with it are similar to what you're saying

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Dr. Tims Waste Away + Refresh will do the same as bacter 7 correct? The directions that came with it are similar to what you're saying
Sort of but will have similar results when dosed during the day

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably is amphidinium but can't be sure due to the low magnification and lack of detail. Could be prorocentrum also. I would not do a water change....especially if you use a high iron content salt like Tropic Marin. Make sure you keep your NO3 in the 5-10 range and PO4 in the 0.05-0.12 range.

I have found dosing silicates to elicit a competing diatom bloom the best course for amphidinium (and prorocentrum for that matter). Dosing bacteria can be helpful as well as phyto/pods. Manual removal is not effective. Blowing off the sand does nothing to help unfortunately. Usually within if few hours it back as it was or worse.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank ? In my experience if your nutrient levels are not bottomed out and you are battling dinos then lack of biodiversity is often a factor.

Haim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help with ID? I believe it’s dino. So far it’s only on the sandbed and disappears without light and at night. I did a 3 day dark period and knocked it back a little but it’s back fully now. It originally started at the end of a fallow period where my nitrates hit zero. My nitrates have been steady at 8 and phosphates 0.07 for a month now. Also been running 9W UV for 70 gallons. I just started another lights out period plus hydrogen peroxide twice daily. Also just got dr tims Dino tx of waste away and refresh I will be using when I get back from a short vacation. Below are the pics I got at max power for my cheap digital microscope. I have videos but can't seem to get them to upload. Is it amphidinium?
unnamed-9.jpg

unnamed-10.jpg
Flatworm exit will do the job. Or Flatworm rx.

OP
OP
dbleoh7

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I would update this. I vacuumed up all that I could with a 20% water change and used Dr. Tims Waste Away + Refresh with lights out per instructions which got rid of 99% of it. It very slowly came back over a few days and I did a very small vacuuming of what I could see of it left and did lights out (without any dosing of bacteria) for 3 days again and it has now gone away. I bought a Mastertronic so that I can be lazy and still monitor my phosphates and nitrates and hopefully not deal with this again

Note: During Dr. Tims dosing my nitrates and phosphates initially skyrocketed and then plummeted. I had to check them every single day (sometimes twice a day if they were way high or low) and ended up having to dose nitrates and phosphates pretty heavily during treatment. I initially ran carbon and GFO for 1-2 days because my phosphates went from .07-->.25 overnight, but then after a day I had to stop the GFO/carbon and actually had to dose nitrates and phosphates everyday for the remainder of treatment. I would say having carbon/GFO and nitrates and phosphates to dose on hand is a must when using this treatment. Also having spare premixed saltwater to do a large water change in the event that those huge swings in nutrients angers your corals enough. My corals retracted a little but didn't look too bad during it.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back