Need help with fishless QT tank cycle.. What to do now for ammonia/nitrite levels?

SharkRacer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently created a QT tank and decided to try to make it look nice to boot! I know typically people just keep them simple, but I added a resin rock and some sea glass for fun (see pic).

Steps taken so far:

1) I filled it with water from my DT and some filter media that had been in the DT for a few weeks
2) Added Dr Tims
3) Dosed ammonia to 2PPM

My current chemistry stats are shown in the images attached. It's taken a while but the ammonia is finally nearing 0, which is great!

Now, the nitrite and nitrate levels are quite high. :(

QUESTIONS:

Ammonia question: At this stage, should I add more ammonia, then wait for it to zero out again? Or just wait until the nitrite levels subside and then get some fish?
Nitrite/nitrate question: Should I do a water change to lower the nitrite/nitrate? If so, should I use "new" saltwater from my mixing station, or should I use water from my DT?

Thank you for any help in advance!

Screen Shot 2022-06-05 at 2.44.17 PM.png QT Tank.JPG

OP
OP
SharkRacer

SharkRacer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping someone can help with a follow up question/problem I’m having with this observation tank.

I put fish in this tank and everything was fine for three weeks. Fish were healthy and ammonia levels were just above zero.

then I went on vacation for 10 days and as I was unable to find a daily pet sitter I put the tank on auto feeders and had my sitter check on the tank every 3 days. I used the same feeder very successfully in my display tank and it had no problems while I was on vacation, but my observation tank did.

Ammonia spiked to ~2 and my flame angel didn’t survive , but 3 cardinals and a 6-line wrasse were unaffected.

I’ve since moved the survivors to the DT, cleaned the excess food out of the QT and did a 50% water change. I expected ammonia levels to drop significantly but after 3 weeks the ammonia levels are still at 1.5.

Should I do another water change? Should I take out my filter media and clean the excess food waste off of it? I’ve even tried adding some Seachem Prime and it doesn’t seem to do anything.

I’d like to get another flame angel and do things properly this time and have no vacations planned so I’ll be here to watch things closely this time.

Any help would be appreciated!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back