NEED help with ich

anthonyt987

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im fairly new to this hobby still and recently got ich, I didn't qt my fish and I know thats an issue too. I've had all the live stock for 1.5 months no issues until one day I forgot to plug heater in. Noticed my royal gramma constantly scratching itself on the sand etc.
Didnt see any white spots but I knew it was ich, So sunday night I started treating for Ich with Polyp Lab medic but now it has only gotten worse. It spread to my yellow clown goby and pygmy angel, so far the orange striped cardinal seems fine. I've also upped the temp to 82 degrees, is there any better option for this or just let the meds run its course since my lfs told me it would take 2 weeks for treatment or should I setup a qt tank? Even though would have to wait the recommended 2 months for the ich to die in the system?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you up the temp? That only makes it reproduce faster and there is no reef safe medicine that works. If there was we wouldn’t need to QT.

Either you wait it out and hope and feed good foods and always have ich or you remove the fish and treat with a real med or tank transfer and go fallow.

Last edited:

Dreamkiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im fairly new to this hobby still and recently got ich, I didn't qt my fish and I know thats an issue too. I've had all the live stock for 1.5 months no issues until one day I forgot to plug heater in. Noticed my royal gramma constantly scratching itself on the sand etc.
Didnt see any white spots but I knew it was ich, So sunday night I started treating for Ich with Polyp Lab medic but now it has only gotten worse. It spread to my yellow clown goby and pygmy angel, so far the orange striped cardinal seems fine. I've also upped the temp to 82 degrees, is there any better option for this or just let the meds run its course since my lfs told me it would take 2 weeks for treatment or should I setup a qt tank? Even though would have to wait the recommended 2 months for the ich to die in the system?
I also had a horrible outbreak of ich. And I'm also new to this. However, I used the high heat method which I read about and currently none of my fish have the symptoms any more and are swimming happily. I'm still going through the process but so far so good. Current temp 88.7. Been running this temp for 7 days so far

kbz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you up the temp? That only makes it reproduce faster and there is no reef safe medicine that works. If there was we wouldn’t need to QT.

Either you wait it out and hope and feed good foods and always have ich or you remove the fish and treat with a real med or tank transfer and go fallow.
because ich can't survive at higher temps. 82 isn't high enough though I think its 86-88 and then ich can't reproduce and it just dies.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
because ich can't survive at higher temps. 82 isn't high enough though I think its 86-88 and then ich can't reproduce and it just dies.
This is true of freshwater and not so much with marine in which as temperature goes up, oxygen comes down

kbz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is true of freshwater and not so much with marine in which as temperature goes up, oxygen comes down
oxygen goes down in freshwater as well, have to throw an air stone in it if doing higher heat method. I don't know about marine. Just gathering info here to see if its something I want to do.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does not kill saltwater ich. That is a treatment for freshwater ich.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had a horrible outbreak of ich. And I'm also new to this. However, I used the high heat method which I read about and currently none of my fish have the symptoms any more and are swimming happily. I'm still going through the process but so far so good. Current temp 88.7. Been running this temp for 7 days so far

As I looked at your profile, I realize that you are new at keeping marine ecosystems. I remember reading 50 yrs ago in Inns Book, which recommended heat treatment for acceleration of Ich stages to the free swimming stage where ich could be treated with quarantine & copper. Certainly ich activity is accelerated with temperature as well as many other biological processes that consume oxygen. With increased temperatures bacteria activity is increased which consumes more oxygen at a time when less oxygen is in the water. Also, different temperatures grew differrent bacteria which eventually are the “microbial overlords that determine system health.

PS: I assume you have no corals in this system.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back