Need help with my design

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to redo my entire tank. Its a 36 gallon bow front. Ive decided im going to build a foam wall and make my tank in to an AIO setup. I started messing around with Tinkercad to kind of visualize what i had in my mind. The general idea that i had was to build the AIO chambers in the back right corner. Then to build a rock scape that goes from the top right back corner and slopes to the center. I really like the look of coral on the back wall. Id like to try to cram as much coral as i can in to the tank. I don't care to get anything rare or hard to keep, just lots of hardy, beginner friendly and cheap coral. Most people seem to say not to build your rock against the back wall because you'll get detritus under and behind it. So, that will be one of my priorities when building it, make sure there isn't any space back there.

that being said, what do you guys think of this rough design? Its really rough, so, dont look at exact shapes, just the general idea. Rock going from top back right corner to middle, back wall on the left with a crack/shelf built in to it and a couple of jutting peninsulas. There would be lots of holes and shelves and texture to it to mount coral to and for fish to hide.

My main concern right now is: would i be able to get enough coral on there or is all the stuff on the top going to shade out the stuff on the bottom? What coral might go well where? I want to have a plan for where i might mount what coral, before i even start building anything.

DESIGN 1.jpg DESIGN 2.jpg

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Scooter21 take a look at the drop in All in Ones from FijiCube. They’re really cool, and might give you a head start on your fabrication. They have a couple of designs for a 40 Breeder, but I’m sure you could make it work on your bow front. I’ve been considering adding one to my 20G that I use for quarantine etc.

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Scooter21 take a look at the drop in All in Ones from FijiCube. They’re really cool, and might give you a head start on your fabrication. They have a couple of designs for a 40 Breeder, but I’m sure you could make it work on your bow front. I’ve been considering adding one to my 20G that I use for quarantine etc.

That would certainly work, but but my goal was to build a foam wall and put coral on the back wall and as long as I'm doing that, I might as well make it an AIO, not the other way around.

I think I've got the AIO aspect figured out. I just need to figure out the rock work to get my coral placement dialed in. I want to build something I'm truly proud of and not something I say "its OK, but I really wish I had done *this* differently "

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would certainly work, but but my goal was to build a foam wall and put coral on the back wall and as long as I'm doing that, I might as well make it an AIO, not the other way around.

I think I've got the AIO aspect figured out. I just need to figure out the rock work to get my coral placement dialed in. I want to build something I'm truly proud of and not something I say "its OK, but I really wish I had done *this* differently "
I hear you. I was thinking that you could still do your rockwork and foam wall since thats the part you really want to do and use it to camouflage the AIO.

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you. I was thinking that you could still do your rockwork and foam wall since thats the part you really want to do and use it to camouflage the AIO.
Ya. It might work well to build the foam well exactly that size, so it could just slide in there. I think what I'm planning will work fine, though

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back