Need help with my first tank and filtration.

New2reef37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 40 gallon breeder. I siliconed in a Fiji AIO, Using a filter sock. The thing is the acrylic bracket that the sock fits in doesn't fill the whole space inside. So I filled the Gap with filter foam. Tank is set for a few days and I heard the water flowing so when I looked it was lower inside the cube than when I first started. So I cleaned the filter foam just under running tap water. Now my water is super cloudy from all the particles knocked loose. Don't feel like I'm doing this right, any help would be greatly appreciated.

KIMG0467.JPG KIMG0468.JPG

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all the particles floating around will be collected by your filtration again soon. Don't worry about that. Change filter socks every 4-5 days is what i would do. Sponge too. Is this thing part of an aio or a sump??

OP
OP
N

New2reef37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all the particles floating around will be collected by your filtration again soon. Don't worry about that. Change filter socks every 4-5 days is what i would do. Sponge too. Is this thing part of an aio or a sump??
AIO. I bought a media shelf for it too but the water doesn't really dump across it like a waterfall, it just kind of hangs out in the middle section with the water.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220104-175253.png
    Screenshot_20220104-175253.png
    171.3 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
N

New2reef37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same issue. Why Fiji makes the holder undersized remains a mystery.
I went with bulk reef supply. I asked him to recommend a pump and showed me a Sicce 1.0 . Which is good for 250 gph. I was thinking about going to the 1.5 good for 350 gph. I assumed the third section with the pump would stay lower than the first and second section, and was thinking I need a more powerful pump. am I wrong to assume that?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back