Need Help with New 90 Gallon

Max2000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a new 90Gallon tank from big als canada, I read the New marine aquarium book and have some idea about SW tanks. I know i need a sump for my future build which is a 90 Gallon mixed reef. Mostly SPS corals and some Aquacultured corals. Most are Medium to high Lighting and medium to strong water flow. Keeping mostly reef safe fish and 1 lion fish. I need some suggestions on equipment I could use to accomplish this build :nerd:. Also this might be a odd ball question does anyone know someone who makes sumps in Mississauga,Ontario? reason im asking this is Big Als wants like 400-500 dollars for a manufactured sump. I know that money could be spent getting a kick butt protein skimmer. Thx for your help members :bigsmile:

Hooked

LPS Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know anone that makes sumps in Ontario, but there are lost of places online that you could buy a sump for that tank much cheaper. If you want to really keep your cost down, you could use a 29 gal glass aquarium as a sump.

Generally only a small portion of your flow is going to come through the sump. To get the flow you're going to need, you'll also need to add a closed loop or some pumps inside the aquarium. Options for pumps inside the tank range from the least expensive, but very reliable maxijets (can add mod kits to increase flow) to higher end Tunzes. There is also the Vortech, and wavemaking devices such as Sea-Swirl, Wavy Sea, waveboxes, and Oceans Motions.

You probably want to decide how much you want to spend, then look at your options within that price range.

Emc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like an exciting project. FWIW, I'm not sure I would keep a lionfish in a reef tank. Although I'm sure it can be done with careful planning you will narrow your range of fish choices dramatically. Lionfish will eat shrimp and small fish. They are also waste machines. You are not going to have a lot of room for large fish in a 90 but you won't be able to add small fish with a lionfish in there.

OP
OP
Max2000

Max2000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like an exciting project. FWIW, I'm not sure I would keep a lionfish in a reef tank. Although I'm sure it can be done with careful planning you will narrow your range of fish choices dramatically. Lionfish will eat shrimp and small fish. They are also waste machines. You are not going to have a lot of room for large fish in a 90 but you won't be able to add small fish with a lionfish in there.
even dwarf lions or medium sized :eek:oh: ahh that kinda sucks i wonted at least 1 predator i could live feed but thanks very much for the heads up :smile:

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used tanks can be purchased cheap or even aquired free if you keep your eyes open. Make sure it never had copper medications in it--if so, it's useless for a reef.

Make your own sump from a tank. I'd use a 55g tank because it's the same length as the 90g tank you have. I think a longer sump would be easier to run a nice refugium.

Mya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal opinon would be... Why make a sump? A sump is kinda useless I think in a mixed reef/reef/or even fish only tank. They only seem to hold water mass and create nitrates via bioballs. If anything I would say, make a home made refuge. The benefits are much greater for a refuge then a sump.

And a refuge is a fun... simple.. DIY project.

Hooked

LPS Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They only seem to hold water mass and create nitrates via bioballs.

A sump does not need to contain bioballs, although you're right, that can becomes a source of nitrates. However, a sump is useful for expanding your water capacity, thus making your margin for error greater (dilution). It can also be used to hold additional live rock for additional filtration and to hide equipment such as heaters and skimmers.

I'd use a 55g tank because it's the same length as the 90g tank you have

It might be hard to fit a 4' sump under a 4' tank unless the stand is designed for that.

Mya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the location. I personally don't mind used stuff. So I usually look for local ppl that are selling or getting out of the hobby. With equipment you can look at ebay... or online stores... like marinedepot.com... craigslist... here even. There is a for sale section here for dry goods too.

Mya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you on the extending the water mass. That's what I ment by hold water. But I still think a refuge would be much better then a sump. My old sump is sitting in my garage. The best thing I ever did was remove it and install a $25 dollar 20L. Haha.

Kinda funny. $200 sump Vs. $25 20L refuge. Ill take the 20 refuge anyday! =]

jimmybling31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal opinon would be... Why make a sump? A sump is kinda useless I think in a mixed reef/reef/or even fish only tank. They only seem to hold water mass and create nitrates via bioballs. If anything I would say, make a home made refuge. The benefits are much greater for a refuge then a sump.

And a refuge is a fun... simple.. DIY project.

you don't use bioballs in a reef sump. they don't do anything bad. they add to the water volume, give you a place to put your skimmer, give you a place to add a refugium or a place for it in the sump. it cleans up the back of your tank too. a sump is a great thing to have and you set it up just like a refugium with just more dividers.

Mya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the sump is large enough or if you have enough cabinet space then you can convert it to a refuge and place things like a skimmer/heater and the likes in it. Sumps usually come with bio-balls in it and for most ppl the bio-balls just turn into a nitrate farm. Even a fish only tank, you will get nitrates back from bio-balls in a sump.

Why spend the money on a sump... if you're just going to make it into a refuge? Why not just buy or DIY a refuge in the first place?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back