Need help with planning new tank

arkodios

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the hobby since mid 2019. I got into saltwater in January and I’ve been loving it so much more than I thought. I love all the variability compared to freshwater. I currently have a Waterbox Cube 20 that has been nothing but as unproblematic and fun as can be. It did not go through an ugly phase and I’ve had a good time growing and stocking the tank. I am ready to upgrade. I am stuck between a 75 gallon tank (UNS 90U) or a 120 gallon (UNS 120U). This is going to be a unique tank for reasons that I won’t mention until the tank is well-established. My main concern is the expense; I am 17 years old and I have to pay for all my aquariums myself. I planned it out and the 75 gallon would cost me approximately $2000 and the 120 gallon would be about $4000, not including any livestock. I need some input on whether the 120 gallon will be worth it or not.

The 75 is 3 feet x 22 inches x 22 inches

The 120 is 4 feet vs 2 feet x 2 feet

The tank is going to be stocked with a lot of filter feeders (gorgonians, scallops, clams, macroalgae, sponges, etc…), acropora, anemones, euphyllia, and some others.

I would like to do a tang, as well as tons of gobies (including sand-sifting gobies, wheeler gobies, diamond gobies, and clown gobies), starfish, acro crabs, blennies, and a pair of clownfish. The main concern is that the tang and starfish would not do well in a 75 gallon tank vs a 120. Do you guys think the extra expense is worth it? What would you do?

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way bigger footprint. Go with the 120. More to work with, and you will feel better about the fish having enough space. Got room for a 6' 125? If I were a tang I'd sure love the extra 2 feet. Would likely cost about the same as a 120.

Amelanchier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also might want to think about what you’ll do if you move in a year or two. Will you be able to take your tank with you? Are you setting up a tank that you’ll have to have hand over to your parents/whoever you live with now very soon?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back