Need help with Reefer 250 set-up and Vectra M2 return pump

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I've spent the past 3 days setting up my new tank and i've been enjoying it, but now i am stuck and kind of feel crappy about it.

1. Leak on return pipe - I've made it snug, i loosened it up a little, and i even made sure i did not over-torque it. However, i still have a leak. I will reach out to Red Sea about a replacement part, but my friend recommended some plumbers tape, which i will go buy later today.
  2. Tubing from return pipe not fitting output of Vectra return pump - I watched on YouTube that Ecotech is aware that it isn't plug and play and said they would find a solution in the future. For now, what should i do? Would some PVC pipe and a barb work? Should i give up on this return pipe and just buy another one?
I'm so confused and getting frustrated as this is all new and overwhelming to me.

Image 1 - leak on return pipe
Image 2 - tubing into return pump
image 3 - my overall set-up

20190520_155006.jpg

20190520_155016.jpg

20190519_134540.jpg

20190520_155016.jpg

20190520_155006.jpg

20190519_134540.jpg

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That return connection has been a known weak point with the Reefers.
I've dealt with leaks there myself.
First, where exactly is the leak coming from? Top, middle, or bottom area of that pipe?
I've seen the knurled part that you tighten down, crack at the bottom.
If you haven't already, take yours off and inspect it. If it's cracked, it will never work properly.

Also, on some of these (not all), the black and grey sections at the bottom actually screw together, although they might look like they're glued.
If screwed together, again check that there are no cracks and place or replace teflon tape on the threads before screwing back together hand tight.

Sorry I have no experience with that pump. Hopefully someone else will have a suggestion.

Don't get discouraged, you'll get it all sorted out and love the tank.
I wound up getting a second one and have had no leaks or any other problems with it at all. :)

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had an issue with leaking, I did use teflon tape on all my connections though.

As far as the plumbing goes, it is metric and a little over 1". I got a 1" braided tube and used boiling water to get the thing pushed on as tight as I could. Here is a pick of the connection coming from the plumbing:
IMG_1344.JPG

I had the same problem with the return pump, (mine is a Reff Octopus Varios 8) and I had to get creative since it did not have a 1" barb connection. I actually did have a barb that the inside measured right around an inch and the tubing fit inside it snug. I applied super glue and let it cure for 12 hours and it worked perfectly fine until I got the proper plumbing. Here is a pic on the tubing out of the return pump:
IMG_1343.JPG

The actual connection I got with the pump was a coupler with a 1-1/4" socket. I had to buy a 1-1/4" to 1" reducing fitting and then a 1" barb and glue the PVC and let it cure for 24 hours. Here is a pic of the plumbing for the return pump:
IMG_1649.JPG

This may differ slightly depending on the size of the plumbing you got with your pump and I am not sure the exact size of the return plumbing on your specific tank, (it may be the same...or may not), but you will need to figure out the measurements that will work for you and purchase the proper connections to make it work.

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, just some updates:
  1. Confirmed the leaks are due to missing O-rings. I never got them within the box, so Red Sea is expediting a delivery by Friday.
  2. I'm probably going to just sell the Vectra pump for a nice discount to somebody and buy a return pump that is plug and play. I'm just not doing well at this plumbing stuff (2 trips to Home Depot already with failed attempts to build my own plumbing)
  3. BTW, i chipped the top of my fish tank last night troubleshooting all this. I was devastated, but now i have accepted and find it charming. It's a chip with no cracks.

I'm really disappointed with Ecotech Marine.

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had an issue with leaking, I did use teflon tape on all my connections though.

As far as the plumbing goes, it is metric and a little over 1". I got a 1" braided tube and used boiling water to get the thing pushed on as tight as I could. Here is a pick of the connection coming from the plumbing:
IMG_1344.JPG

I had the same problem with the return pump, (mine is a Reff Octopus Varios 8) and I had to get creative since it did not have a 1" barb connection. I actually did have a barb that the inside measured right around an inch and the tubing fit inside it snug. I applied super glue and let it cure for 12 hours and it worked perfectly fine until I got the proper plumbing. Here is a pic on the tubing out of the return pump:
IMG_1343.JPG

The actual connection I got with the pump was a coupler with a 1-1/4" socket. I had to buy a 1-1/4" to 1" reducing fitting and then a 1" barb and glue the PVC and let it cure for 24 hours. Here is a pic of the plumbing for the return pump:
IMG_1649.JPG

This may differ slightly depending on the size of the plumbing you got with your pump and I am not sure the exact size of the return plumbing on your specific tank, (it may be the same...or may not), but you will need to figure out the measurements that will work for you and purchase the proper connections to make it work.

Thanks, this is very helpful. I might make another attempt before just buying a new return pump

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really disappointed with Ecotech Marine.

Ecotech is one of the higher end suppliers of reef gear and it's not their fault. It isn't Red Sea's fault either. The issue is that Red Sea is using Metrics and Ecotech is using U.S. Customary measurements. To get a plug and play connection they would both have to be Metric or U.S. Customary measurements. I knew that going in so I was not upset when I realized that the connections supplied would not work. Just takes a little extra effort to make it work though.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, this is very helpful. I might make another attempt before just buying a new return pump

You're welcome.

You should be able to get the exact measurements from Red Sea and Ecotech, (or just measure them yourself). I did not have much luck with my local Home Depot on the connections though. You may have to order them online to get what you need. Maybe others on here will post the exact plumbing you need as I am sure many other people have the same tank and pump.

Good luck and welcome to R2R!!!

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech is one of the higher end suppliers of reef gear and it's not their fault. It isn't Red Sea's fault either. The issue is that Red Sea is using Metrics and Ecotech is using U.S. Customary measurements. To get a plug and play connection they would both have to be Metric or U.S. Customary measurements. I knew that going in so I was not upset when I realized that the connections supplied would not work. Just takes a little extra effort to make it work though.

For me, I think ecotech is at fault. They sell a barb kit for their v1. It would have been nice to just include the barb adapter in their kit and be done with it.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, I think ecotech is at fault. They sell a barb kit for their v1. It would have been nice to just include the barb adapter in their kit and be done with it.
I didn't realize that it didn't come with at least one or two different barb fittings. I guess they probably think that if you are buying that high end gear then you are probably using hard plumbing so you don't need a barb. Whatever the case...I have never purchased a pump that did not have a few different barb fittings so that is weird to me.

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
received my O-rings from Red Sea. No more leaks. Also solved the pipe issue with the Vectra M2 return pump..... After 7 days.., a minor cosmetic chipped tank, and lots of anxiety... i think i may cry of happiness.

20190524_183725.jpg

Rigo.G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
received my O-rings from Red Sea. No more leaks. Also solved the pipe issue with the Vectra M2 return pump..... After 7 days.., a minor cosmetic chipped tank, and lots of anxiety... i think i may cry of happiness.

20190524_183725.jpg

Now that you have gotten the plumbing issues figured out for your Vectra M2 how are you likening it? Is it silent ? I’m looking at the vectra M2 or cor15 for my future reefer 250 build.

Jlyons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20190524_183725.jpg

Trying to replace my M1 with the new M2 and having some issues finding parts. Is that a 5/8" barb fitting you used?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back