Need help with sailfin tang - disease or not?

lmgoetze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! New reefer. 55 gallon, params were great, I just recently put all my my fish in a QT tank bc I thought I had introduced a yellow mimic tang that I (sadly didn’t qt but will do forever from now on!) suspected had ich and died… my rusty angelfish soon was covered in hundreds of white dots that I assumed was ich (or velvet) as well. Rest of my fish are all In qt and seem to be doing well, all happy, eating after ttm and copper treatment. But my sailfin tang has had these white patches on him, just looks like discoloration, or fading color, not excess mucous. Do you think it’s a disease I’m not treating properly? Seems healthy other than the aesthetics of the patches which may be from him rubbing rock in the DT, but now I’m worried. I know pics aren’t the greatest… but Any tips would be appreciated! Thank you!

B3ADB88F-2EA4-491D-81FC-6C12CDAF05D8.jpeg 047C0851-ACAE-40D3-BB0F-BE941A6594F5.jpeg C5BCFA52-4DC7-4E6F-9B74-E3599D76A7BC.jpeg 2B1FC9BA-6A40-4704-8B6E-C448C87F0CFA.jpeg D78A172A-AB91-4E9F-93FF-EC97C873AE58.jpeg CFB0390C-373B-4827-82D5-971B4582BFA1.jpeg A77FB23D-F2B2-4C86-873A-2A6EC5A373A9.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1459.MOV
    35.8 MB

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White patches might be scrapes or they might be the beginnings of bacterial infections. Best thing to do is feed well and be patient. I would not try to treat with antibiotics - discussing treating fish with two different vets it's next to impossible to maintain theraputic levels in fish by just adding to their tank. Additionally antibiotics will kill beneficial stuff and can increase stress the fish are experiencing and can risk disrupting the microbiomes long term..

OP
OP
L

lmgoetze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White patches might be scrapes or they might be the beginnings of bacterial infections. Best thing to do is feed well and be patient. I would not try to treat with antibiotics - discussing treating fish with two different vets it's next to impossible to maintain theraputic levels in fish by just adding to their tank. Additionally antibiotics will kill beneficial stuff and can increase stress the fish are experiencing and can risk disrupting the microbiomes long term..
thank you! will just sit and wait :)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen the fish rubbing on rockwork? If so, that is called flashing and is a sign of disease.
The water in the video looks very cloudy, does it look cloudy to you?
How is the water testing out? Especially ammonia?

Jay

OP
OP
L

lmgoetze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen the fish rubbing on rockwork? If so, that is called flashing and is a sign of disease.
The water in the video looks very cloudy, does it look cloudy to you?
How is the water testing out? Especially ammonia?

Jay
So I have no rock in my quarantine tank. He's been these colors for about 2 months, and has been in quarantine for 11 days. I've only had him about 3 months. The "tank" he's in is actually a sterilite storage container lol so it's a milky color but the water is very clear, and the parameters are all great. I've been doing water changes about every 36 hours for TTM, so no issue with ammonia. I'm feeding frozen hikari mega marine angel, and seaweed salad clips. I just can't tell why he seems so dull in color and has those small patches on him. Maybe i'm just imagining it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have no rock in my quarantine tank. He's been these colors for about 2 months, and has been in quarantine for 11 days. I've only had him about 3 months. The "tank" he's in is actually a sterilite storage container lol so it's a milky color but the water is very clear, and the parameters are all great. I've been doing water changes about every 36 hours for TTM, so no issue with ammonia. I'm feeding frozen hikari mega marine angel, and seaweed salad clips. I just can't tell why he seems so dull in color and has those small patches on him. Maybe i'm just imagining it.
A couple of things - ammonia can build up as fast as 1 ppm in 24 hours, so you need to test for it, don't just assume that water changes every 36 hours is keeping it low enough. Also, TTM does not manage flukes. If this isn't a bacterial problem it is likely a fluke issue.

Jay

OP
OP
L

lmgoetze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of things - ammonia can build up as fast as 1 ppm in 24 hours, so you need to test for it, don't just assume that water changes every 36 hours is keeping it low enough. Also, TTM does not manage flukes. If this isn't a bacterial problem it is likely a fluke issue.

Jay
Oh ok, thank you! I guess I'll feel it out and see

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 107 87.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back