Need help with screwed up cycle

Cassy621#

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inherited a year old tank from son. So I have been into reef tanks for 5months when the tank exploded. Saved most of fish in bin and purchased new DD Reef Pro 1200. Did a fast cycle cos had to put fish back in. Must have done something wrong because I have nitrites 27ppm
Nitrates 10.3
Alkalinity 9.5
Phosphates 0.10
Ph 8.2
I had algae bloom and now have Cyanobacteria.I was using UV and Adding microbactor
20220702_142818.jpg
20220702_142802.jpg
20220702_142758.jpg
Any advise welcome 20220702_142808.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nitrites are not important as a toxin - but (if your test is correct) - does suggest an ongoing ammonia load from 'something'. Since (I'm assuming) that the fish are ok - as are other invertebrates, it suggests that your ammonia is either low enough not to cause a problem or is mostly non-toxic NJH4.

Do you have an ammonia test kit? Can you check it?
Have you double checked that the nitrite kit is non-expired and verified with another test.
If you're using API tests some will say use another method. I do not find them to be any different that the rest if done correctly.

The Nitrate level is normal/slightly high - you could do some water changes - or add another nitrate export method to get it lower (again - assuming that it's accurate). It should also be double checked.

If you could repeat your ammonia, Nitrite and nitrate simultaneously that would be very helpful!

OP
OP
Cassy621#

Cassy621#

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ammonia 0
Nitrate 6.6
Nitrite 31 even though I added some Prime this morning after testing

OP
OP
Cassy621#

Cassy621#

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrites are not important as a toxin - but (if your test is correct) - does suggest an ongoing ammonia load from 'something'. Since (I'm assuming) that the fish are ok - as are other invertebrates, it suggests that your ammonia is either low enough not to cause a problem or is mostly non-toxic NJH4.

Do you have an ammonia test kit? Can you check it?
Have you double checked that the nitrite kit is non-expired and verified with another test.
If you're using API tests some will say use another method. I do not find them to be any different that the rest if done correctly.

The Nitrate level is normal/slightly high - you could do some water changes - or add another nitrate export method to get it lower (again - assuming that it's accurate). It should also be double checked.

If you could repeat your ammonia, Nitrite and nitrate simultaneously that would be very helpful!
They are Hanna test kit except ammonia which is salifert

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are Hanna test kit except ammonia which is salifert
OK - I would ignore the nitrite. I think your cycle is fine. You can always verify the tests at an LFS, etc (which Is what I would recommend). Realize that Prime will temporarily bind nitrite - then it will be released back into the tank. It may also affect the accuracy of nitrite testing for the first 24 -48 hours.

Personally - there are 2 possibilities - 1 your ammonia test is wrong or 2 your nitrite test is wrong. The way the fish/coral/inverts look suggest a testing problem with your nitrite

OP
OP
Cassy621#

Cassy621#

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I will get it checked yes everything happy. I didn't realise that about Prime thanks again I will stop stressing

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, that’s parts per billion, lol
YES!!!! Good Catch. OP - you are using the Ultra low Nitrite test - so you can divide your result by 1000 (i.e. your nitrite is basically 0)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back