Need Help with Skimmers - Should I keep what I have or get a new one?

Jeff-Ft-Lauderdale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So some background:
I inherited this 50 (I am told) gallon Plexiglass tank. It came pre-established (don't know how long, but at least a year). It is a wedge design, with an overflow filter in the back. I have had the water quality tested several times...it is near perfect. I have it tested at my local fish store once a week. Right now it is lightly stocked...a couple small anemones, a few corals (two largish ones, including a GSP colony about a foot wide, and a half dozen small ones), a small clown fish, a single firefish, about ten snails, a few small hermit crabs, and one banded coral shrimp.

I am fairly new to this hobby. I have owned many freshwater tanks (from 5 to 55 gallons and everything in-between), but this is my first salt tank. Skimmers are completely new to me.

So it came with equipment pre-installed. There is a canister filter in the base, which I guess is the "main" filter. And also this cylindrical skimmer. It has some kind of mad-scientist plumbing that winds around to and from the overflow filter. He had actually cut into the drywall to make room for some of it. I have no schematics for it. I have a vague idea of the brand, but that's it. I do not see any way to adjust it. There is the tube on the right (facing the skimmer from the tank side) that can twist around to control water flow to a degree. But nothing I do prevents what you see in the video.

When I turn it on, the foam is too thick...it quickly overloads the cup and I have to shut it off. For this reason, I have not used the skimmer hardly at all for the last 6 or 8 weeks. I have been able to maintain my water quality I think because my other filtration is good and my tank is lightly stocked...just a small clownfish and a filefish and a few invertebrates.

My question is this; given this information and what is in these photos and videos, would it make sense for me to just remove this and start over with a new skimmer? Right now I am leaning towards the latter. The people at the fish store said some brands cannot be adjusted easily or at all. They could not reliably identify this either.

I know the photos and video are not great...the angles awe awkward. I did research the brand some...the "coralvalue.com" domain no longer works. The closest I can find to it visually is this - https://www.marineandreef.com/Reef_...aG-5-7A_OPhDl9AqTWj8ci4M_z0vCdVxoCJLkQAvD_BwE

Video (Shows the skimmer functioning at the very end) - I tried to get every angle - https://photos.app.goo.gl/3vjFfYArnzfmVXNG8

Still photos of the skimmer.
Side:
Side1.PNG
Side2.PNG

Top:
Top1.PNG
Top2.PNG
Top3.PNG

Tank-Interior:
Top4.PNG

Interior2.PNG
Interior4.PNG

Bottom:

Brand2.PNG

Brand.PNG

Still photos of the tank:

Tank1.PNG
Tank2.PNG
Interior1.PNG Interior3.PNG

Last edited:

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to keep things simple, just by eyeballing it it actually looks properly sized for that tank. You might just need to practice learning how to dial it in. You could do a little research about not skimming to “dry” or not skimming too “wet” and about break-in periods.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back