Need help with wrasse diagnosis

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think? Wrasse has been happy in the system for a month now and then today randomly looks like this. It looks like skin is sloughing off but not really. Its odd... Doesn't look like mucus or slime. Its breathing really rapidly too. Nothing else in the tank looks bad.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That guy doesn't look very happy ... something about that stuff on his sides almost makes me want to say Brooklynella - even though that's usually associated with clownfish. Doesn't really look like ich or velvet to me . . .

Hopefully, @melypr1985 or @Humblefish will be around soon to confirm or deny.

~Bruce

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a trick of the eye, but those white spots actually seem to move/crawl on him. Which would suggest flukes: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/flukes-–-general-guidelines.224423/

If you can catch him a 5 min FW dip would confirm: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-dip.248898/

Is your fallow period for ich/velvet already up?
Hey Bobby!

Yeah, I only did the 6 weeks for velvet as I don't really care to try to keep my system ich free anymore. I actually went 8 weeks since I was too busy to get the fish back in.

Its a trick of the eye with the video. I watched the fish for almost an hour and nothing was moving. It almost looked like a snake after it shed its skin and there are some pieces still hanging on. The movement you saw was probably some looser pieces flapping in the current a bit.

I'd almost be surprised if it was flukes since I freshwater dip all new fish and treat them with prazipro, though I am open to the idea that my QT may not be perfect and some could have gotten through.

I'll keep looking at it today if its not too late already. The fish was breathing pretty fast yesterday so that's never a good sign.

Thanks for your input!

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That guy doesn't look very happy ... something about that stuff on his sides almost makes me want to say Brooklynella - even though that's usually associated with clownfish. Doesn't really look like ich or velvet to me . . .

Hopefully, @melypr1985 or @Humblefish will be around soon to confirm or deny.

~Bruce
Yeah, I've seen brooklynella in person before and it doesn't look like it. Plus, have two clowns in the tank with the wrasse and they would for sure show symptoms since they are so prone to it but they both look good. Thank you for the potential idea! I'm baffled by this one.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That actually looks like my fairy wrasses when they had velvet --- have you added anything wet that wasn't QT'd for 76 days? (Coral, rock, etc).

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That actually looks like my fairy wrasses when they had velvet --- have you added anything wet that wasn't QT'd for 76 days? (Coral, rock, etc).
If it's velvet again, I may have to quit the Hobby. [emoji22]

The rest of the fish are asymptomatic but I'll keep my eye on them. Haven't seen the wrasse this morning yet.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's velvet again, I may have to quit the Hobby. [emoji22]

The rest of the fish are asymptomatic but I'll keep my eye on them. Haven't seen the wrasse this morning yet.
What other fish do you have?

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regal Angel, 3 anthias, 3 clownfish, pyramid butterfly, flame hawk, Midas Blenny, blonde naso, melanarus wrasse, fox face, and flame Angel.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regal Angel, 3 anthias, 3 clownfish, pyramid butterfly, flame hawk, Midas Blenny, blonde naso, melanarus wrasse, fox face, and flame Angel.
The angels and tang should be showing symptoms of its velvet -- are any of them new?

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither of them are. Sad part is I haven't seen the wrasse today so I think it met its end. I'll keep an eye on the rest of the fish and see if any signs of velvet develop. I appreciate you taking the time to offer advice!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As you said, I would suspect brook to afflict the clownfish if that disease was present. And the butterfly & angels probably wouldn't last long with velvet dinospores in the water. o_O

Which brings us to the possibility of a bacterial disease of some kind. If you still have that UV sterilizer, run it 24/7. It's your best defense against whatever this is from spreading.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you said, I would suspect brook to afflict the clownfish if that disease was present. And the butterfly & angels probably wouldn't last long with velvet dinospores in the water. o_O

Which brings us to the possibility of a bacterial disease of some kind. If you still have that UV sterilizer, run it 24/7. It's your best defense against whatever this is from spreading.
Thanks Bobby! Got that UV running 24/7 again and will be monitoring.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That kind of looks like the bacterial infection I was fighting with that flame wrasse @Humblefish. The scales looked like they were white/clouded and sort of ruffled. I did three rounds of antibiotics and multiple baths/dips, all would knock it back...but it kept coming back. I kept him alive like that for several months, but every time I would remove the medication he would start to decline. Eventually, he passed.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. Mine went the quicker route as I didn't see it at all yesterday.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'll be a monkeys uncle... The wrasse showed up this morning looking perfectly normal. No more dried scaley look on his skin and eating mysis like a boss again. I'd imagine if it was velvet he'd be dead right now as well as his fellow tankmates shortly after.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'll be a monkeys uncle... The wrasse showed up this morning looking perfectly normal. No more dried scaley look on his skin and eating mysis like a boss again. I'd imagine if it was velvet he'd be dead right now as well as his fellow tankmates shortly after.

Most likely. I would think a wrasse's slime coat could more easily fend off harmful bacteria. Especially a gram positive infection.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely. I would think a wrasse's slime coat could more easily fend off harmful bacteria. Especially a gram positive infection.
Well that makes sense. I'll keep an eye on everyone in the tank but for now, crisis averted! Thank you everyone and the disease disaster response team! [emoji4]

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back