Need Help With Yellow Tang Diagnosis.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm sure this question gets posted far too often, but I'm just going to do it due to the fact that researching is coming up with many different answers and contradicting information. Is this guy starting to display HLLE?

He is currently in a 75 gallon with a coral beauty, two clowns, banggai cardinal, leopard wrasse, gold head goby, and orange banded goby. He was added about seven weeks ago, and did have some pitting around his eyes when I purchased him (though the larger white spot above his eye has gotten bigger). He is very active and eats well, getting a variety of frozen foods 3-4 times a week, nori 3-4 times a week, and new life spectrum pellets/flakes every day. There are some unusual dark spots on his sides (lower half on his belly and forward top of anal fin with similar spots on the other side). I see no aggression towards him from tank mates and he does seem to be "in charge" in the tank.

Does anyone have any ideas of what's going on? Anything will help and thanks in advance!

20171001133910_IMG_1983.JPG

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diet seems fine, although I would probably start soaking his pellets/nori with Selcon or Zoecon or one of the other vitamin supplements listed here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vitamins-herbal-remedies.304287/

Also, what kind of carbon (if any) do you run? Low grade carbon can leach dust into the tank and that is another cause of HLLE.
Thanks for the link! It's been bookmarked. I will start soaking his food for sure. I guess started off on the wrong foot getting a fish already displaying signs and was over confident that I could nurse him back to health.

I haven't run carbon since he's been in the tank, but when I do I use the pre-made Fluval pouches (I'm guessing I should switch for future usage?). Also, the attached picture is the nori I use. Do you see any problems with it?

20170726_050549.jpg

20170726_050536.jpg

Back