Need help.

Greyknight741

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a saltwater reef tank. It's fairly new just about four or five months. I just added my first coral frag and my wife without telling me added a blue starfish. The nitrates have spiked to almost 20ppm. But my nitrites are at 0. And my ammonia is close to 0 if not 0. I just added some prime to it. What should I do? I'm thinking a water change tomorrow after work.

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a saltwater reef tank. It's fairly new just about four or five months. I just added my first coral frag and my wife without telling me added a blue starfish. The nitrates have spiked to almost 20ppm. But my nitrites are at 0. And my ammonia is close to 0 if not 0. I just added some prime to it. What should I do? I'm thinking a water change tomorrow after work.
As long as ammonia is not present you shouldn’t be too worried. Although 20ppm is considered high for many reefers, some do successfully keep it up for a ‘dirty’ tank. Prime is smart just in case there is any lingering nitrites and/or ammonia to detoxify it. You could start with a small water change and see what that does.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back