Need Id and advice of coral placement.

Clownshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parents picked me up some new corals and the owner threw in a freebie I think its a frogspawn but I am not sure. Also where should I place them? I have them down low on the sand right now to adjust to the light.

I also am wondering how to attach the leather coral to rock.
20210214084406_IMG_1331.JPG
20210214084340_IMG_1330.JPG

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a branching hammer. I think its current location is fine and just give it a good mild flow. You want to see its tentacles gently swaying or bouncing. It will take a while for it to fully expand and just monitor for any flatworms on its skeleton.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for leather corals, glueing them almost always ends in them slipping out due to their slime. I suggest you get a rubberband and fix the leather to the rock. Make sure its not too tight that it will cut the coral into two but just tight enough that the coral cant escape.

OP
OP
Clownshow

Clownshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for leather corals, glueing them almost always ends in them slipping out due to their slime. I suggest you get a rubberband and fix the leather to the rock. Make sure its not too tight that it will cut the coral into two but just tight enough that the coral cant escape.
So they rubber band won't hurt it? I always cringe when I get a little rough with a coral.

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Looks like a Devil's Hand. Rubber band is the way to go. Just make sure it is only tight enough to hold it to the rock you want it to attach to and not blow away or it will cut through it. It's easier in a low flow area. You don't need the blunt base to attach directly. The side of the base will attach just fine and the coral will grow as it wants regardless.

Here is a leather I recently bought. Attached in less than 1 week.
toadstool.jpg

OP
OP
Clownshow

Clownshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Looks like a Devil's Hand. Rubber band is the way to go. Just make sure it is only tight enough to hold it to the rock you want it to attach to and not blow away or it will cut through it. It's easier in a low flow area. You don't need the blunt base to attach directly. The side of the base will attach just fine and the coral will grow as it wants regardless.

Here is a leather I recently bought. Attached in less than 1 week.
toadstool.jpg
Alright I'll try again tomorrow

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be a little tricky the first time you do it. It will shrink when you handle it and then get bigger while it acclimates making the band tighter. It is pretty tight in my pic after about 5 days so I cut it off. I actually stuck the base in a hole in the rock which is why I think it attached so quickly. It swelled and got stuck :)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 118 58.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 74 36.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 60 29.6%
Back