Need ID Help

Volsman85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these or this algae or something else? They seem to have a base.
Thx in advance folks

20200921_181714.jpg 20200921_181730.jpg 20200921_181735.jpg

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's just a few, a syringe filled with boiling water is what I use. Just cook them where they sit. If it's a rock that can be easily removed, do the same, but outside the tank. You can also use Kalk paste or even epoxy to cover them.

OP
OP
Volsman85

Volsman85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's just a few, a syringe filled with boiling water is what I use. Just cook them where they sit. If it's a rock that can be easily removed, do the same, but outside the tank. You can also use Kalk paste or even epoxy to cover them.
Thanks. Ive since been told peppermint shrimp will eat them. But I'm concerned that will take too long and if they spread fast, I don't think they can keep up. I have 2. Maybe I need more or just "cook" them like you said. Please advise. Thx

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the problem with pepermint shrimp is that maybe they will, maybe they won't. If the aiptasia are large they definitely won't.

OP
OP
Volsman85

Volsman85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please elaborate on the paste or epoxy. Surely not from a hardware store? I'm trying to avoid taking the rock(s) out.

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please elaborate on the paste or epoxy. Surely not from a hardware store? I'm trying to avoid taking the rock(s) out.

I just use gel gorilla glue. Any gel based super glue should be fine! I found 2 aiptasia on a coral I recently got, glued them, and that was it! If they were that large, I would use seachem coralcrete (what's available at my LFS).

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is reed safe epoxy that you can buy, and I think that most people that use it on Aiptasia just entirely cover the whole anemone so that it gets no flow, light, or oxygen.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back