need ideas on basement fish room and utility sink wall covering.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is what I am working with. it mesures 7'3" wide and 5'11" high
Sorry for the mess but I was painting the other half if the unfinished basement.

20210813_093016.jpg
thinking about making this a basement fish studio...would need a vent fan or two + electric. IDK I will have 2 tanks up stairs so we just wanted to spruce the area up it was nasty down there when bought the house then 1.5 years of construction did not help it either.

20210813_092923.jpg

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also if anyone has any clever ideas for a contour top that would be great to. we had the set it on OSB board as we needed the sink during the construction process. I thought I could come back and add a formica but the utility sink sits lower than I thought it would.

I have thought of:
epoxy =$$$ but fun?
cement = would be cool if done right a PITA if not
tile = I would hate those grout lines but could live with it.
linoleum = cheesy but could work
prim and paint the OSB= not the best solution but could work.

open to other suggestions.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people have used solid doors for tops. IKEA has some tops too. Maybe look at remnants from a granite/quartz shop.

That eucatex stuff is interesting. Might have to use that somewhere in the future. Glad someone posted it.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people have used solid doors for tops. IKEA has some tops too. Maybe look at remnants from a granite/quartz shop.

That eucatex stuff is interesting. Might have to use that somewhere in the future. Glad someone posted it.

the lady of the house likes that more than the corrugated metal so i think that is what we are going to use. i'll let you all know how it comes out. prob. be a while it's added to the honey do list.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are drywalling, I hope you use greenboard for that area.

PVC products should be fine.

If you want something sturdy that will last forever, I'd go with Altro Whiterock (used a lot in hospitals) - Probably easiest to fine from a bathroom/tile store.

If you want something easy that you can throw away & re-install & can also work as a markerboard, I'd recommend EUCATILE. It's a bit more prone to getting dinged up & damaged, but it's $15 for a 4'x8' sheet from home depot

question do you know if one would be some sort of backing on the 2x6 wall? guessing I would, it would add support and stability and make instal a bit easier to.

mjh712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question do you know if one would be some sort of backing on the 2x6 wall? guessing I would, it would add support and stability and make instal a bit easier to.
If you want something sturdy, It’s probably best to go with the green board. It’s literally water resistant drywall. If you want something that won’t get dented easily. Anything PVC would do. If you want to support anything you can get metal or wood backing that goes on the studs first. That’s what’s used to hold up sinks, cabinets, etc. on walls

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want something sturdy, It’s probably best to go with the green board. It’s literally water resistant drywall. If you want something that won’t get dented easily. Anything PVC would do. If you want to support anything you can get metal or wood backing that goes on the studs first. That’s what’s used to hold up sinks, cabinets, etc. on walls
I was thinking the same. that it would need some backing for support.
Go bonkers. Cement board, schluter kerdi waterproof membrane, epoxy the floor and tile the wall. You could the whole room into a sump :)
oh trust me I have thought about it. but cost yeah there is that...lol
I would rather spend the $$$ on stuff that goes in the tank not the basement mixing room...for now but once i am rich its a different story. ;)

SEWIreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most wood products are still high. I would do FRP over dry wall. Cheap and fairly quick, don’t need to tape and mud if you cover it all. Lots of different textures and looks these days with it also.
I did FRP over drywall in my water station area. Check it out. Waterproof and less likely to dent than the pvc board and they have strips for between sheets to cover the seams.

Attachments

• 4544F8AC-C329-4572-B505-75CAC5A28A57.jpeg
    4544F8AC-C329-4572-B505-75CAC5A28A57.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did FRP over drywall in my water station area. Check it out. Waterproof and less likely to dent than the pvc board and they have strips for between sheets to cover the seams.

yup it will be FRP board for sure. just going slow got the basement floor presser washed and epoxy painted. next I want to add a few outlets before I put up the FRP. I am in no hurry I guess it will be a winter inside project.

your cane out nice!

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah 2x6" studs I did thnk of Dry wall but we spend 6 weeks on drywall for the upstairs its was long and expencive process...SOOO not really looking to hang, tape, mud prim and paint the stuff.
We cheated on the dry wall in my FIL house. We bought 1/2” drywall but put it on backwards so the taper was inside the wall then installed the 3/8” paneling over the top. No mud, sanding, or paint. Has looked great for 35 years. Make sure to lay drywall horizontal and offset your paneling so the joints don’t line up with drywall joints.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out you big box store (Lowe’s, Home Depot, Menards, etc.) they often times have Formica counter tops already made, including back splash and side splash parts.

Cleanup is looking good.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 64 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.0%
Back