Need ideas to quiet down my Fiji Cube sump

Legomaniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm new here but not new to reef tanks. I'm setting up a new tank on my office and I bought the Fiji Cube 20 sump for it. This is the first sump in have ever purchased all of my other sumps I have made myself from stock tanks. The problem is the noise from the water flowing from the overflow section to the filter sock section. The water comes into the sump from the overflow( the pipes are submerged) then they flow over a baffle into the sock section. There are 2 inserts I can use here, a filter sock holder or a floss holder. I dont use socks of floss so the water just passes through and that is where it makes noise. The only way I see to quiet it down is to raise the water level so it doesnt fall so far, but then my skimmer section would be 11" deep. There has to be a better way. Any suggestions?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off the top of my head...

Get a filter cup. It won't filter anything out but should provide enough resistance to allow a water level high enough and/or more gentle slope for running water to adhere to preventing that gentle sound of falling water that's drives us to distraction. It's what I have in my RSR and seems to work ok.

Nice place for bag o' GAC too.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just cut the bottoms off of the mesh socks that are included. That's what I did as I don't use socks or floss either. It's whisper quiet now.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20220122_195815472.MP.jpg

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem when I first set up my Fijicube 20. If you want to run the sos is there a few things you can do. The best is don’t us the socks that came with the sump, buy better socks that are longer. You can find them on Amazon. The second is if you have a DC pump slow the flow down.

When you put the socks in let them get soaked. When they are you can usually “jiggle” and/or rotate them in the holes and get them to run quiet.

But the absolute best option is to get a roller mat. It will filter better, you don’t have to change it out every 3-4 days and you don’t have to rinse and wash socks. I started out with the KLIR filter, it’s a drop in and it worked pretty. I did have a custom mounting plate made for it though to help run quieter. I just recently purchased a Clarisea 3000 I will install soon. I’m deciding if I want to permanently modify the sump or use soft tubing or a pump to plumb it.

A roller filter though is like freedom.

OP
OP
L

Legomaniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So running with the sock in didn't help. The water just pours into the first sock, splashing and making noise. My flow meter says I am running 220 gph so that shouldn't be too much. That gets me a little better than 4x turnover. I think im going to have to do some custom acrylic experiments. First I'll try just a small piece to divert the water so it cant directly crash down. If that doesnt work then I can make a custom sloped insert so the water rides down. If that doesn't work then I will just put in a baffle in the skimmer section to keep the water high in the filter section without raising the skimmer water.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's probably about the amount of flow I have going. The mesh socks took a day or so to "season" so the water would cascade silently. It definitely works. The cups as mentioned also work, I used them empty in my red sea reefer and they were quiet, they just don't fit the Fiji sump or I'd have them in there.

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the fijicube 32, 36?...I forget which one. I use the floss tray instead of filter socks and I don't believe I have noise issues. I know it's a subjective consideration regarding noise levels but I believe I don't notice the sump at all. I use Poly-fil batting as my filtration method so the water is never actually falling. Secondly, I have live rock and ceramic in the compartment before the water leaves for the skimmer chamber.

OP
OP
L

Legomaniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will I got it completely silent now and it was easy and cheap. I found that Solo cups fit right in the filter sock ring if you cut out the little plastic piece. So I cut the bottom out of 2 clear Solo cups and slid them in the plastic sock ring(also removed the mesh sock material). Then I used silicone and attached the entire thing to the acrylic sock holder plate. It works well because the lip of the cup actually sits on top of the socks ring so the water is just a little deeper before it can go down. This makes the water disperse evenly between the 2 socks holes instead of most of it pouring down the first one. And I can always change out to the floss holder temporarily if I ever need to filter out some debris.

kwirky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm new here but not new to reef tanks. I'm setting up a new tank on my office and I bought the Fiji Cube 20 sump for it. This is the first sump in have ever purchased all of my other sumps I have made myself from stock tanks. The problem is the noise from the water flowing from the overflow section to the filter sock section. The water comes into the sump from the overflow( the pipes are submerged) then they flow over a baffle into the sock section. There are 2 inserts I can use here, a filter sock holder or a floss holder. I dont use socks of floss so the water just passes through and that is where it makes noise. The only way I see to quiet it down is to raise the water level so it doesnt fall so far, but then my skimmer section would be 11" deep. There has to be a better way. Any suggestions?

The skimmer height issue is easy enough to resolve with a trip to Home Depot or Lowe’s. i used that gridlike “egg crate” (sold in 2x4 foot sheets in the lighting section), to build a stand for my skimmer. I used wire cutters to cut the grid plastic, and formed a box by attaching the panels with zip ties.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back