Need info on a sump design

AlwaysIntoSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to this hobby and working on starting up a 125g dual overflow reef tank. I am going to build my own sump and had watched a video with someone who had made a sump with horizontal flow instead of vertical flow and had a refugium in it as well. I had liked the design but can’t find any information on this and doesn't seem that anyone else is using this method. Does anyone know the cons and pros of this type of sump? They had mentioned in the video that it was more of a natural flow but I don't know if you'd be able to get the bubbles out. It was a flow going right to left in a few spot looking like a river flow. My question would be is if anyone has any knowledge on this and would it be worth the build? Thank you in advanced.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really just increasing the length of the water path like a maze does. Just include your over-under baffles in the path to minimize bubbles the same way. Make sure your compartments that get created are able to accommodate the things you need - skimmer, heater, return pump, refugium, whatever your plan.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlwaysIntoSomething

AlwaysIntoSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really just increasing the length of the water path like a maze does. Just include your over-under baffles in the path to minimize bubbles the same way. Make sure your compartments that get created are able to accommodate the things you need - skimmer, heater, return pump, refugium, whatever your plan.
So should I put the over and under baffles in the beginning or the end of the sump? My objective is to make both a display tank while having the clean up crew and maybe some fish in the bottom. Going to make acrylic framed doors on the cabinet so the kids will be amazed and learning at the same time "not knowing they are learning of course" lol the sump is going to be 60"L x 17"W x 17"-18"H. Just ordered the arcylic.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually both. A set after the skimmer (for bubble management and to keep constant water level for skimmer) and a set before the return pump (for final bubble removal and to isolate the changing water level from evaporation from the rest of the sump). It's less common but there are people on this forum with a wide open sump and no baffles at all.

OP
OP
AlwaysIntoSomething

AlwaysIntoSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually both. A set after the skimmer (for bubble management and to keep constant water level for skimmer) and a set before the return pump (for final bubble removal and to isolate the changing water level from evaporation from the rest of the sump). It's less common but there are people on this forum with a wide open sump and no baffles at all.
Thank you. Probably going to build a normal sump. Don't want to send the bubbles through the return and can't find any benefits of changing the direction.

Back