Need info/opinions on Phyto and Pods

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in my day (lol) we had no phyto or pod care systems to maintain, today many opinions differ on need, care and maintenance of a pod population. I've been reading through many posts regarding this topic and need some guidance.

I have pods which came via a small amount of Chaeto who exploded in my tank, but as I continue to use UV they have diminished, coincidence?

Do folks minimize their UV use to help pod populations?

Do you dose Phyto to supplement the pods?

If yes how much and how often.

Do filter socks effectively end Pods?

I don't have much in the way of corals yet, but I have a mandarin and I know they are very dependent on pods.
I also am looking to duplicate a brine shrimp feeder that PaulB posted to supplement the mandarin.

Any insight is greatly appreciated as this aspect of reefing is new and foreign to me.

Thanks-

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I run UV 12 hours at night as during the day, you don’t want to run unit which is when phytoplankton regenerates and provides resource

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting read, thanks for posting and I now have a better understanding on UV and phyto relationship!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should feed some phyto for the pods to eat, but I believe the UV probably kills the phyto, I dont use UV so I can't say. Pods have short life span, only about a month, some get eaten by fish and corals, some get eaten by pumps and filters. If they have lots of food, they reproduce every 21 days. I just keep a 5 gallon tank for pods that I harvest once a month, that way I'm always replenishing my tank. You can check out culturing your own phyto and your own pods, I enjoy it, its interesting, and it benefits your tank for free. Buying phyto and pods is very expensive.

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should feed some phyto for the pods to eat, but I believe the UV probably kills the phyto, I dont use UV so I can't say. Pods have short life span, only about a month, some get eaten by fish and corals, some get eaten by pumps and filters. If they have lots of food, they reproduce every 21 days. I just keep a 5 gallon tank for pods that I harvest once a month, that way I'm always replenishing my tank. You can check out culturing your own phyto and your own pods, I enjoy it, its interesting, and it benefits your tank for free. Buying phyto and pods is very expensive.
This is true, I have every intention on doing both as soon as I learn enough about culturing pods and phyto!!!
Thanks

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a good read for sure! Thanks for sharing!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 61.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back