Need Input! Can You Have Flat Worms and No Losses? pt 2

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I made a post similar to this around 4 / 5 months ago...

Background

So, here is the story. 4 / 5 months ago, one of my monti species (Montipora verrucosa) had flipped over and fell on the lower rock work. When I went to retrieve it, there were 6 or so flatworms on the underside. I was shocked, so i quickly dipped it in a light bath of salt water and hydrogen peroxide. All the flatworms died, i put the monti back in my tank, and watched every coral in my 125g carefully. None of my acros or montis looked bad, and I saw no tissue loss. So i forgot about the it.

Yesterday, on the tissue base of my gold torch, I saw flatworms again. The torch was fine all day, and my light settings were approaching the end of their day cycle, so the torch was closed up preparing for night. I panicked (as this indo gold torch is very expensive), so i dipped the coral in again, a bath of peroxide and saltwater, and again the flatworms all died. Im kicking myself for not taking a picture, but I was so shocked I just sprung into action. The torch had no tissue loss, and looked fine before I left for work today.

This is strange because I have not had any coral losses in the 5 month time between the first appearance of the flatworms on the monti, and their re appearance on my torch. Even more strange, the worms looked exactly the same. I know euphyllia eating flatworms exist, but they are larger, these guys were small, half the size of your pinky finger nail.

The worms looked like the AEFW below, but how can this be?
1. Is it possible to have harmless flatworms in a tank?
2. Can you have AEFWs and not know it? (meaning no coral losses)
3. Do AEFWs hang out on other species of coral?
4. Are there any flatworm species that eat montis?

I really am at a loss. Im not sure if I have a harmless flatworm species, or if I've always had flatworms and my two fairy wrasses keep them in check. I honestly dont know, looking for any input.

aefw.jpg

The only coral additions between the monti scare, and the scare yesterday have been a few chalice frags, and a couple seriatopora frags.

Again, the worms looked noting like the euphyllia eating flatworms that this R2R member has shown below.
B222870E-A086-495F-9406-C7F641BB83FE.jpg

Thanks.

Johnson556

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could be red planaria as stated below, if they are AEFW good luck. I through away all of my SPS in August because of flatworms. Over 50 sticks/colonies and such....

I would recommend a yellow coris/Melenarus wrasse. Dip if you can, you seem to be on top of things.

OP
OP
VSVP bet

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red planaria; I have tons of them in my tank and they've never harmed anything.

I just looked them up. I thinking thats what it must be, they look moderately similar. When i get home I will look everywhere to see if I can find them. Thanks for the info.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two types of flatworms in my reef tank....thankfully they are not AEFWs.... One is rather large and one type is very small... about the size of a head of a pin....maybe even smaller. The large ones I only see every once in a while. The very small ones I can find usually anytime sunning themselves on a rock. I have seen no adverse impact in my tank or to my corals. I have a trio of Springeri Damsels and a Green Madarin that have been rumored will feed on flatworms. They are fat and happy... Natural food source I suspect.

If you do not have AEFWs and can get yourself some natural predators of them.... just leave them be. I monitor things... and am not turning a blind eye. In fact, I bought some corals last weekend at a frag swap and one had some Flatworms... I dipped and removed anything suspect...including a good portion of the actual coral body. I wanted to be sure I did not introduce AEFWs into my tank....so I tossed the frag ultimately. Not worth the risk.

I am planning to get a new wrasse or two in the coming weeks...thinking about a yellow coris... and a melenarus if I can find one I like.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked them up. I thinking thats what it must be, they look moderately similar. When i get home I will look everywhere to see if I can find them. Thanks for the info.

They can range from clear/white to the reddish/brown like your picture. Flatworm Exit works to kill them in tank as long as it isn't infested (they can release a toxin on death).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back