Need inspiration for DIY Tank stands with built in controller cabinet.

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a 150 gallon SCA tank. It will sit in a corner where the left side of the stand will be inaccessible. I'm planning to DIY the stand for it and am hoping to have a built-in controller cabinet on the right side of the stand, complete with it's own door. The front of the stand will have the standard dual door. But I'd like to see some of your stand builds to get some ideas on how to achieve this.

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built mine with Misumi extruded aluminum with a shallow equipment panel. Still need to skin it though…

741BF15F-DC13-4F2F-BBBF-D0910A567B5D.jpeg

2258DCB3-0DD2-48EF-80C4-B62945E6A772.jpeg

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how much inspiration this will provide, but it's what I have done with mine (quite a bit smaller than yours though at only 40g).

Just a simple box with a sliding back panel inside the tank so I can get to the wires when I need to. The entire box also comes out if I need it to. Cut a hole in the outside of the stand and installed a door to be able to get to my controllers. I'm just starting this journey so I don't have much right now. I also have a little wire management to do for the wires going to whatever I have in the sump.

I cut some 1/4" MDF into strips, and added a bunch of zip ties. There are groves in the back of those MDF strips so the zip ties didn't stick out and made it easier to glue those to the box. I then bought some Velcro and use that to slip through the zip ties wherever I need to to bundle and secure extra chord to keep them somewhat organized. That will make it fairly easy to remove individual components if/when I need to without having to hunt down the right chord and untangling it from a bunch of other chords.

I threw everything in there pretty quickly, and could probably have been a little better organized but I think it's going to work for me.

ControlBox1.jpg
ControlBox2.jpg
ControlBox3.jpg
ControlBox4.jpg

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell us more about this equipment rack. What is going on in there?
Oh gosh, there is a lot going on there. Might be best to check out my DIY controller build:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 16.7%
Back