Need Inspiration for my new build (80 gallon Shallow).... Pics Please!!

patrick.stanley.90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I hope all is going well in your small slice of the ocean. I am in the process of setting up a 80g rimless shallow reef and need some inspiration on aquascape.. also I have a question for everyone actually two.

• I plan to try to transfer my live rook from my current 74 tower, however I have been battling Green Hair Algae for about 3 months, it has started to fade, and my sea hare seems to be doing a good job on it. Whit that being said should I dump the rock and go all new in the new setup or do you all think Ill be fine adding the old rock? I plan to add some new rock but don’t want to have a huge GHA outbreak in the new system.
  • What Is everyone’s opinion’s on Bare bottom VS Sand I have always used sand in my displays and bare bottom in my frag tanks, but this time I was leaning in the way of bare bottom display to cut down on Nutrient build up.

I would love to see pics of everyone’s shallow setups and bare bottom tanks, I also look forward to hearing everyone’s opinion!!! Happy Reefing!

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely transfer LR, it's full of beneficial bacteria now or else you'll have to "cook" new rocks all over again and prob deal w GHA too. Let GHA grow long so its easy to grab w ur fingers, then u can dose PhosphateRx to weaken their root and remove from rock. Do u have CUC that'll keep new algae at bay?
I prefer look of sand bottom. GL

OP
OP
P

patrick.stanley.90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely transfer LR, it's full of beneficial bacteria now or else you'll have to "cook" new rocks all over again and prob deal w GHA too. Let GHA grow long so its easy to grab w ur fingers, then u can dose PhosphateRx to weaken their root and remove from rock. Do u have CUC that'll keep new algae at bay?
I prefer look of sand bottom. GL
thanks for the response, yes I have snails, fighting conch, and a seahare. Like i said the GHA seems to be starting to die down.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless u plan to rehome the conch, it requires a sand bottom.

OP
OP
P

patrick.stanley.90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a update. Everything is going good in the shallow reef.

Attachments

• 20201027_144542.jpg
    20201027_144542.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 35

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back