Need LED advice - Meanwell ELN-60-48D

corbinwaltz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so I finished wiring all my LED's today and was dying to plug everything and give it a test. so, I hooked up the driver, attached a 9v battery to the dimming wires (still waiting on my ALC), turned both the trimpots all the way down, flipped the power, and had light!!! Now my concern is that my multimeter initially read 900ma when I first powered them on, and thats with both trimpots turned all the way down. Over the course of about a half hour, the meter slowly rose to 1.095a without any trimpot adjustments. Am I doing something wrong? is it because im using a battery?

I have 12 cree xr-e in a series if thats any helps.

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bet that it is because of the battery. There are some better Forum Pros or excellent members here to answer your question, though, as electical stuff is not my strongest point!

evilc66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many LEDs are connected to the driver, and how are you wiring in your meter to read current?

OP
OP
C

corbinwaltz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 12 XR-Es connected to the driver and the meter is connected at the end of the string.

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think evil is asking if the meter is wired in series. It really doesnt matter if you have the meter first in the string or last. Current is the same through out the whole circuit. I have been reading a lot on LEDs here lately and I would say I have read a lot of what Evil has to say.

Sorry I can help more but dont want to steer you wrong. you may have a slight current rise as they heat up and become just slightly less efficient. The battery will work for testing some but I am sure a stable 1-10v power source will work better.

good luck and I am sure some one with more LED expertise will chime in. I have been reading about every forum I can find for the last 2 weeks. Some over 100 pages long. Hoping to get there.

Mojo~

OP
OP
C

corbinwaltz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I can help more but dont want to steer you wrong. you may have a slight current rise as they heat up and become just slightly less efficient.
That actually helped quite a bit. I think this may have been my problem. I had originally tested without my fans on for about 30 mins and afterwards, I notice the heatsink was pretty warm. I just did another 30 min test with the fans on, and the current stayed within 830ma & 850ma, which is about where I wanted to run them at. Thanks for the input

Last edited:

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOt a problem. I will be ordering some leds here pretty soon I imagine. I am an industrial electrician by trade. Work with anything from 4-20 mA to 12kV . Mostly 3phase 480v. but a little of everything. So I am sure I can wire up some LED's :) its making the fixture look like it was designed to fit and look good that appears to be tricky.

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dial it down If you're using Cree XR-E LEDs they are only rated for 1000mA

Use one if these they are $19.95 at Radio Shack. We might have them shortly and this is what I use till I decide whether or not to upgrade my ACIII to an Apex or go Profilux or provide our own Light Controller.

enercell.jpg

Bill

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back