Need lighting help. I'm a newbie.

TrialandError

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a 210 gallon tank. I had a 55 gallon tank and was using a 2 bulb T5HO on it. I just got into saltwater keeping 2-3 months ago.

My new tank is 84"x24"x24" I am using the T5HO from my 55 on it till I can find out which LEDs to go with. I don't have any special corals in it right now but can't wait to have the right light so I can get some.

I have been looking at the AI SOLs and am under the impression I will nee 3-4 of the fixtures. A few days ago I heard about the Maxspect Razor and I love the look of the unit and think I could get away with using 2 of the 160W 27" units, but I know nothing about lighting.

Please help direct me in the right direction.

pgr11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your new tank. Everyone will have a different opinion on led lighting. Some love them some hate them. Others will say only full spectrum are good others say blue and white are the way to go so remember to take all opinions with a grain of salt. That being sain I have 4 AI SOL over my tank now my dims are 84x 30D x 24T. I have them length wise and I love them. I think you would be fine using them this way. Now since my tank is 30" front to back I want to add 2 more and switch the way the lights are run and place the front to back as well. Enjoy the build and the learning process. Again congrats

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TrialandError

Once you go LEDs you will never go back.

Ignore watt ratings as a 5 watt led can be driven and 3 watts and will produce more light than three cheap 1 Watt LEDs.

The AI Sol will work very well along with the Maxspect.

I'm a fan of DIY you can save about 30-50% and have the best most up to date parts.

LEDs are like memory chips as they are only getting better and less expensive. Factory fixtures cannot provide the latest LEDs and Drivers as quickly as DIY vendors.

Bill

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like DIY as IMO they when done correctly look better than most 90% of commercial fixtures and a heck of a lot cheaper. I would only encourage Cree if you go that route. As far as ai sols...ie seen 2 on a 4' tank only 18 deep and the color was nice but coverage was terrible. Not sure what you are keeping sps, lps, etc...but whatever they say they cover they don't unless you hang them 2 feet over the tank. Their optics are 60 degree and the light def penetrates deep but spread wise ehhh:)

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen 2 ai sols on a 24" cube. In fact, I have been looking at possibly going with 2 ai vega's for my 22" cube or going with a DIY set up. Either way, I would not be running them over 50 or so %. Anyhoo, 3-4 sol blues over a 7' tank seems a little thin to me.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 40 32.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back