Need lighting recommendations for a softies-only frag tank.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. New to this site, but I've been lurking it for a while. I'm getting back into reefing after a long period of just not having time to do much other than basic maintenance. and while I was busy my softies have grown out of control (and maybe even mutated to new colors I don't think I've ever seen?). So I want to turn some of the excess into frags.

I've assembled a list of items, a mix of BRS gear, stuff in my garage, and hydroponics equipment, to make a cheap but effective tank for growing out mushrooms and eventually zoanthids. The tank is 7" deep and 2' by 4'. I have everything pretty well figured out except lighting. In my searching it seems popular LED lighting options for such a tank include the AI Prime 16 (x2 to cover the tank) or a set of the cheaper Orphek OR3s.

Question is, do I need all the power of the AI Primes? Considering that this tank is primarily going to grow mushrooms, with the most demanding things in the tank being an occasional zoa or two, it seems like I shouldn't spend so much on lighting. If I want to grow out my SPS/LPS in the future I want to set up a separate, more high tech system anyways. So I don't want to blow up my wallet just to end up running my LEDs at 16% to get the mushrooms to open up right. What I like about the Orpheks, is that I could probably only run 1 or 2 (and save the cost of a second AI Prime or more) and still cover the whole tank, or add more if I need to.

Any thoughts about this, or ideas other than what I found? I want to stick to LEDs because I like the control and I like not having to spend $$ on replacement bulbs.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. New to this site, but I've been lurking it for a while. I'm getting back into reefing after a long period of just not having time to do much other than basic maintenance. and while I was busy my softies have grown out of control (and maybe even mutated to new colors I don't think I've ever seen?). So I want to turn some of the excess into frags.

I've assembled a list of items, a mix of BRS gear, stuff in my garage, and hydroponics equipment, to make a cheap but effective tank for growing out mushrooms and eventually zoanthids. The tank is 7" deep and 2' by 4'. I have everything pretty well figured out except lighting. In my searching it seems popular LED lighting options for such a tank include the AI Prime 16 (x2 to cover the tank) or a set of the cheaper Orphek OR3s.

Question is, do I need all the power of the AI Primes? Considering that this tank is primarily going to grow mushrooms, with the most demanding things in the tank being an occasional zoa or two, it seems like I shouldn't spend so much on lighting. If I want to grow out my SPS/LPS in the future I want to set up a separate, more high tech system anyways. So I don't want to blow up my wallet just to end up running my LEDs at 16% to get the mushrooms to open up right. What I like about the Orpheks, is that I could probably only run 1 or 2 (and save the cost of a second AI Prime or more) and still cover the whole tank, or add more if I need to.

Any thoughts about this, or ideas other than what I found? I want to stick to LEDs because I like the control and I like not having to spend $$ on replacement bulbs.
To my eyes, you've answered your own questions already. The Orpheks have a very good reputation. No real control ability but you don't need it. And you are going with 3 AI to fully light the space. I'd go with one or two 4ft Orpheks.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think bars would be a good option here. There are other brands than Orphek too, like SB reef lights and Reefbreeders.

2 black boxes like Viparspectra would be a good option too.

All would be best if you can hang them high.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With any lights, you're going to have to hang them pretty high to get good coverage. The higher you go, the more PAR you lose, so "all the power" of the AI Primes might not be as much as you think. And, hey, if they are too much, you can just turn them down. Having the control ability is nice either way.

I would probably do 3 Primes to get the most out of the setup. In fact, I'm planning a 50g Lowboy build (24x48x10) and using 3 Primes myself. Mine will be solely for zoa grow out.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back