Need more testers for Aquarium Camera app ver 2.0

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by John Ostler, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Caseyoidae

Caseyoidae Well-Known Member Catskill Reef Member Build Thread Contributor Hudson Valley Reef Keepers

No, I didn't purchase. Was a beta tester back in October

2. ussj4brolli

ussj4brolli Member

Uh...no what?

Caseyoidae likes this.
  3. statru

statru Active Member

Mine's the same way. I miss playing around with it. I've been able to take some decent pics with it.

Caseyoidae likes this.
  4. statru

statru Active Member

Just a quick headsup. I just saw the app in the AppStore for $2.99. Really sweet of the developer to offer the app at reduced rates to all those people that helped him work the bugs out and play guinea pig for him. (Not).

5. Fudsey

Fudsey Jack of all trades R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

Well don't you think he deserves to get paid for his hard work? This was always just a Beta test to begin with. He said he would send out Promo codes to those that helped in the beginning. Did anyone ask him for any? Kinda harsh to jump on him after he put in all the work bringing this app to fruition...

danielb333 and leahfiish like this.
  6. Caseyoidae

Caseyoidae Well-Known Member Catskill Reef Member Build Thread Contributor Hudson Valley Reef Keepers

I asked on his wall a month ago but just shot him a pm. Well worth the 2.99. He's probably making an ap for the lizard people. (Edit; To block out the red not actual lizard people )

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Fudsey likes this.
  7. Rebecca Duncan

Rebecca Duncan Member

Still waiting on beta test for android :/

8. PAXpress

PAXpress Active Member

I'm interested for sure. Signed up on the site.

9. SR52012

SR52012 Active Member

Update for Samsung yet?

10. John Ostler

John Ostler Active Member Partner Member 2018

Hey guys! Sorry I haven't been on. I was moving among other things.

SO, if you're a beta person and your beta app has expired, I will gladly send you a promo code, however, Apple only gives me 50 and I need to reserve some for media people. Those will be first come first serve so direct message me here and I'll do my best to get 40 of those out to you guys. That or you can also wait until the next beta version comes out and that will renew your 90 days.

The reason the iOS people haven't gotten new builds yet because I've been destroying my brains (and the developers I know) trying to get the Android version done. I'm happy to report I have REAL progress on it and depending on any more hiccups I think we're looking at 2 weeks to testing. This is a for real date (and I probably just jinxed it).

Just to be clear, the $2.99 cost is to help cover the copious amount of hours it took to design and build this darn thing. There aren't that many reefers out there wanting this app so it's my pathetic attempt to recoup costs. I figured it's around the cost of a reef plug and that made it "okay". Or if you're a beta tester, it's free soooo I'm not sure why everyone is so testy. haha.

In unrelated but related news, Two Gay Reefers just posted a video reviewing the app on their youtube channel. It's a great video that compares the native camera functionality with the app doing it's thing via video. This isn't an Ad and I didn't pay them to do the review (it actually made me pretty nervous when they posted that they reviewed it, haha). So check it out here if you're looking for how the app does it's thing.

11. John Ostler

Quick update for you Android users out there. The app is about ready for testing. HOWEVER, lower powered (#older) devices are getting SMOKED by the processing power needed. I've actually never crashed an app this much. There should be a special award. I'm working thru some ideas where you basically have a manual sampling you take of the scene then it sets up your gel filters. That or turning off auto all together might be necessary. For most of you, that means picking the right orange lens that works. Not the worst thing, but in a perfect world, both iOS and Android would function identically.

I'll have an update in a few days to start sending out beta invites.
    I will be limiting testing to certain devices so I can't promise EVERYONE will get to test (there are a few hundred sign ups) but I'll do my best.

Thanks for the patience with me on this!

12. John Ostler

More Android testing invites going out tonight!
    Check your inboxes! Woohoo!

One disclaimer, I wasn't able to do the auto GEL mode filters in Android. It might be a little time before Android can effectively ensure developers that the graphics chip is going to be good enough. SO, instead I included a manual GEL filter slider that gives you everything from Red to Orange to Yellow. I'm super interested if this gets the desired results as the auto GEL in iOS is one of the most rad features.

Happy Testing!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  13. Ludders

Ludders Active Member R2R Supporter UK Reef Club Member Build Thread Contributor

Note for any Beta testers, after you extract the package and go to install, your phone may block installation. You will need to disable the "Unknown Sources" option within "Lock Screen and Security" feature on your Andriod device.

[​IMG]

MartinWaite and John Ostler like this.
  14. I'm a natural blue

I'm a natural blue Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Late to the testing game but, if more/new testers are needed how do I get in line?

15. blazedmasta

blazedmasta Active Member

I have an Note 8 and willing to best test background in technical troubleshooting.

John Ostler likes this.
  16. JBKReef

JBKReef Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Just picked up the App... I love the coloration I get just before lights out but the blues are hard to contend with... looking forward to play around with the tool and see what I can make. $2.99 well worth it.

17. John Ostler

@Ludders YOU ROCK! thanks so much for the email and posting that. So so so helpful.

18. John Ostler

Shoot me a DM with your email so that I can make sure to get you in.

19. ReefersDelite

ReefersDelite Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I already purchased it a while back and was diappointed with the quality but still use it. How do i become a tester?

statru likes this.
  20. blazedmasta

blazedmasta Active Member

Taken with the Note 8 with gel mode. 1530200211789.jpeg

John Ostler likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted