Need opinions about removing a baffle in my sump

Calvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is the one that came with the waterbox reef 220.6 and I was just wondering if removing the baffle that has the weir on it that divide the filter sock chamber and and refugium/skimmer chamber would cause me any issues with the front and back glass panels bowing out, and maybe even worse down the road. I have a clarisea sk-5000 in there now but I'm switching over to a red sea reef mat 1200 and would like the extra space so I can turn my skimmer sideways and have the reef mat to where I can change the gloss from the front.

Any insight would much appreciated!

20220718_203522.jpg

20220718_203536.jpg

20220718_203546.jpg

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I doubt there would be any issue, not sure how large of a sump though. I know I had to remove dividers from my Red Sea XXL750 to install the 1200 roller. If you can get one of Red Sea’s sump modification tool sets they work awesome.

OP
OP
Calvin

Calvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt there would be any issue, not sure how large of a sump though. I know I had to remove dividers from my Red Sea XXL750 to install the 1200 roller. If you can get one of Red Sea’s sump modification tool sets they work awesome.

I actually picked one of those kits up today when I got the reef mat but the guy at my LFS said he wouldn't remove that baffle. It's a 37 gallon sump.

OP
OP
Calvin

Calvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was his reasoning behind not removing it, structural?

Yeah he said it would probably bow out. But I'm leaving 2 baffles at the other end that separate the skimmer chamber and return chamber. So idk. I just don't want to Remo e it and that have catastrophic failure.

OP
OP
Calvin

Calvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don't think that baffle is doing anything for structure. When I push on it it wiggles pretty good and definitely isn't in there very tight. And when I try to push the front and back glass apart to try to get it to bow out it doesn't budge.

OP
OP
Calvin

Calvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...I'm not a gambling man but I went ahead and did it. And I have to say that 5/16" glass isn't budging on the sump. And that red sea tool kit is amazing! Took Mr less than 5 mins to get it out. And water box has really tight tolerances in their sumps on the silicone.

20220718_221921.jpg

20220718_221949.jpg

OP
OP
Calvin

Calvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok next question. Is there any benefit to keeping the baffles that divide the return pump chamber from the rest of the sump?

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok next question. Is there any benefit to keeping the baffles that divide the return pump chamber from the rest of the sump?
Well if you call the ability to only pump enough water to not overfill the tank if the drain and the emergency drain get clogged, then yes there is a benefit. Otherwise in the extremely rare scenario of both drains getting clogged you could pump the entire sump volume up to the tank causing a nice little mess to clean up.

edit. It’s usually the complete weir that clogs as opposed to both drains but the affect is the same

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you call the ability to only pump enough water to not overfill the tank if the drain and the emergency drain get clogged, then yes there is a benefit. Otherwise in the extremely rare scenario of both drains getting clogged you could pump the entire sump volume up to the tank causing a nice little mess to clean up.
In addition, the last set of baffle(s) are there as bubble traps to keep any micro bubbles from the skimmer making it to the return pump and then to your display. if you skimmer is like mine and doesnt spit any out, then no worries about that.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition, the last set of baffle(s) are there as bubble traps to keep any micro bubbles from the skimmer making it to the return pump and then to your display. if you skimmer is like mine and doesnt spit any out, then no worries about that.
Also keeps your ato pump from running a very long time trying to keep the entire sump full vs just the return section

edit. And makes a nice spot for dosing into a pump inlet

OP
OP
Calvin

Calvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

edit. It’s usually the complete weir that clogs as opposed to both drains but the affect is the same

Also keeps your ato pump from running a very long time trying to keep the entire sump full vs just the return section

edit. And makes a nice spot for dosing into a pump inlet

All very good points! And as far as my skimmer I have to gate valve on the opposite side of the sump so I'm not too worried about that. I feel like I get more bubbles I. The display from my dang random flow generators on the return nozzles. Lol.

And for my top off I'm using and innovative marine hydrofill so i set the 2 probes very close together. And I'm looking at tank a minimum of 4 hours a night not including on my lunch break when I'm at home for an hour.

I went ahead and removed the baffles and it definitely gave me the space I needed. For equipment.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back