Need opinions on my fish list

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. So as of right now, in terms of fish, I only have 2 clowns in my tank. My tank is 10 months old and I want to add more.

So here is a list of fish that I want to get, please let me know of your personal experiences with these fish and if there is a fish that isn't compatible with another (PS: my tank is 34 gals, RSM C 130):
1) 2 clowns (already have)
2) Mandarin (one that eats frozen or flake/pellet)
3) Yellow watchman goby (possibly get him a pistol shrimp)
4) Canary blenny
5) Not sure if there is space for more but possibly a pair of chromis OR an atanaka's possum wrasse OR whatever suggestions you guys have

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, there's always room for more fish! I'd possibly look to add the mandarin last and make sure your LFS has copepods on hand (I'd recommend at least one bottle of Tiggerpods or similar a week or so prior to getting your mandarin, in the event he ends up being a finicky eater).

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been able to keep canary blennies as a long-term prospect, and I'm not quite sure why this is the case. Both specimens were captive-bred, but arrived bleached and only lasted a few weeks apiece. They were from different vendors.

I would recommend the striped or fang blenny. They're great fish with lots of personality, and can certainly put up with clownfish.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been able to keep canary blennies as a long-term prospect, and I'm not quite sure why this is the case. Both specimens were captive-bred, but arrived bleached and only lasted a few weeks apiece. They were from different vendors.

I would recommend the striped or fang blenny. They're great fish with lots of personality, and can certainly put up with clownfish.
That's odd. Ill look into that thank you. Maybe they don't handle shipping well? Where i live shipping isnt an option anyway so id have to get the fish from an LFS.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, there's always room for more fish! I'd possibly look to add the mandarin last and make sure your LFS has copepods on hand (I'd recommend at least one bottle of Tiggerpods or similar a week or so prior to getting your mandarin, in the event he ends up being a finicky eater).
Thats why I want to make sure they eat fry or frozen food. Dosing pods is just not financially possible for me, plus pods are not readily available where I live anyway. Mandarin fish are crazy beautiful so I really hope i can get to keep one. BTW, why add the mandarin last?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats why I want to make sure they eat fry or frozen food. Dosing pods is just not financially possible for me, plus pods are not readily available where I live anyway. Mandarin fish are crazy beautiful so I really hope i can get to keep one. BTW, why add the mandarin last?
You'll often get a ton of pods with macroalgae. If you have a source for chaeto, you'll get 'pods, and then you can breed your own supply. This can provide an essential source if your own tank becomes depleted.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll often get a ton of pods with macroalgae. If you have a source for chaeto, you'll get 'pods, and then you can breed your own supply. This can provide an essential source if your own tank becomes depleted.
I do have a fuge with chaeto rn and while i never dosed pods, Id say i have a fair amount. So thats good.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. So as of right now, in terms of fish, I only have 2 clowns in my tank. My tank is 10 months old and I want to add more.

So here is a list of fish that I want to get, please let me know of your personal experiences with these fish and if there is a fish that isn't compatible with another (PS: my tank is 34 gals, RSM C 130):
1) 2 clowns (already have)
2) Mandarin (one that eats frozen or flake/pellet)
3) Yellow watchman goby (possibly get him a pistol shrimp)
4) Canary blenny
5) Not sure if there is space for more but possibly a pair of chromis OR an atanaka's possum wrasse OR whatever suggestions you guys have
The general rule is 3" of fish per 5 gallons of water, so I think your list sounds appropriate. My YWG didn't do very well, but I also didn't have a pistol shrimp for him.

I'm not an expert, but Mandarins' primary diet is pods, so you definitely want to make sure you've got a solid amount who are reproducing frequently, and probably replenish your pod population (AlgaeBarn sells a good variety). I'm not sure they'll eat flakes, or pellets for that matter.

Another size appropriate and pretty fish to consider is an Orchid dottyback. I love mine. :)

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another size appropriate and pretty fish to consider is an Orchid dottyback. I love mine. :)
Absolutely, but a lot of reefers apparently think that they're the devil. I've never had any trouble with mine, and that flash of fuschia you get when they dart out of the aquascape is spectacular.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The general rule is 3" of fish per 5 gallons of water, so I think your list sounds appropriate. My YWG didn't do very well, but I also didn't have a pistol shrimp for him.

I'm not an expert, but Mandarins' primary diet is pods, so you definitely want to make sure you've got a solid amount who are reproducing frequently, and probably replenish your pod population (AlgaeBarn sells a good variety). I'm not sure they'll eat flakes, or pellets for that matter.

Any particular reason the YWG didn't do well in your tank?

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any particular reason the YWG didn't do well in your tank?
I wish I knew. He had a little burrow he dug out in a cave and he didn't come out often. I would toss a few veggie pellets into his cave when I fed the other fish, but I honestly don't know if he ever ate them. The rest of the fish have all been thriving.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you already have "show piece" fish in the mandarin and clowns. I would think about some utility fish to help with overall ecosystem and stability. Choices are limited for a nano tank but there are still options.

I would not set up a small tank in any tank without a 6line wrasse to control pest worms, and a gobie that can eat algaes, like the "algae eating" gobie ( might get too big in a 34g) or a rainford gobie.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you already have "show piece" fish in the mandarin and clowns. I would think about some utility fish to help with overall ecosystem and stability. Choices are limited for a nano tank but there are still options.

I would not set up a small tank in any tank without a 6line wrasse to control pest worms, and a gobie that can eat algaes, like the "algae eating" gobie ( might get too big in a 34g) or a rainford gobie.
I wish I can have utilitarian fish as you said but the options are very limited. I will look into the rainford goby (also known as court jester goby) but the thing is I'd have to pick between the YWG and the rainford. Also, have you had any first hand experience with the rainford? According to liveaquaria it's in the moderate difficulty category.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I knew. He had a little burrow he dug out in a cave and he didn't come out often. I would toss a few veggie pellets into his cave when I fed the other fish, but I honestly don't know if he ever ate them. The rest of the fish have all been thriving.
That sucks. Maybe he was already dying or sick when you got him.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I can have utilitarian fish as you said but the options are very limited. I will look into the rainford goby (also known as court jester goby) but the thing is I'd have to pick between the YWG and the rainford. Also, have you had any first hand experience with the rainford? According to liveaquaria it's in the moderate difficulty category.
I used the algae eating gobie, not rainfords unfortunately.

As far as utility fish goes, I would prioritize more on the 6line bc there are a lot other ways to control algae but very little ways to control f
worms. Algae you can go without the gobie since you can still load up on other kinds of CUC

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As far as utility fish goes, I would prioritize more on the 6line bc there are a lot other ways to control algae but very little ways to control f
worms. Algae you can go without the gobie since you can still load up on other kinds of CUC
I mean Ive seen my clown eat a bristle worm before, plus I can always get bumblebee snails for worms. A sixline wrasse is a nice looking fish but not exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you for the tip though, i will keep it in mind!

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I just googled the algae-eating goby and all I found were freshwater gobies, is that what you were referring to?

Back