Need opinions on my fish list

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I can have utilitarian fish as you said but the options are very limited. I will look into the rainford goby (also known as court jester goby) but the thing is I'd have to pick between the YWG and the rainford. Also, have you had any first hand experience with the rainford? According to liveaquaria it's in the moderate difficulty category.
Try to get a captive-bred Rainfordi/Court Jester if at all possible, as they've been raised to accept frozen foods like mysis and brine shrimp. I've frequently seen wild specimens come into a "local" (translation: ten-hour trip) fish store: they linger for a few days, and then usually die. I was going to buy one of these last Spring, but the poor fish was already floating dead in its tank when I came to take a look.

I'd go with a hardier fish; there are so many lovely goby species that are much easier to keep if you don't want to (or can't) maintain a specialized, individualized feeding schedule.

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pigmy hawk fish are cool keep em fed they won't mess with you clean up crew lol

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pigmy hawk fish are cool keep em fed they won't mess with you clean up crew lol
They're beautiful fish, but mine is very timid and cryptic. I see it at most once every few days, and only at feeding times, when it creeps out to snag some mysis. I keep mine in a 40 cube, and don't have very many aggressive fish, but it consistently loses the race to food, and I sometimes have to spot-feed it.

To be clear, I'm referring to the pygmy geometric hawkfish, plectranthias inermis. There are other species of hawkfish which are more gregarious.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to get a captive-bred Rainfordi/Court Jester if at all possible, as they've been raised to accept frozen foods like mysis and brine shrimp. I've frequently seen wild specimens come into a "local" (translation: ten-hour trip) fish store: they linger for a few days, and then usually die. I was going to buy one of these last Spring, but the poor fish was already floating dead in its tank when I came to take a look.

I'd go with a hardier fish; there are so many lovely goby species that are much easier to keep if you don't want to (or can't) maintain a specialized, individualized feeding schedule.
yeah, i think ill go with the YWG and pistol shrimp combo. Thank you for the info though!

Back