Need opinions on new chromis

shocker8786

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

i just picked up 6 chromis from my lfs. Thought everything looked good but when I started acclimating the bag I was able to get a closer look and saw a red spot on one of them. I took a picture and sent it to the guy at the lfs. He thought it was an injury from a rock or another fish. But I’m worried it could be a disease or something I don’t want to bring into my tank. This is my first tank and I only have 2 clowns a goby and some corals so not much experience with identifying sick fish yet. Anyone concerned and think I shouldn’t introduce them to the tank?

677D7DD9-1D12-4D5C-909F-689A5C924F1E.jpeg

OP
OP
shocker8786

shocker8786

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes planning to quarantine but not sure what I should due to make sure they’re healthy before I put them in the display beyond just monitoring. Should I medicate them and if so with what?

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet is to return the fish to the lfs if possible. I'd mention the uronema. They might not take them back but it's worth a try. Even if they are willing to take them back without a refund, I'd still do it. Uronema could likely cost you more in loss and headache than those fish did.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

i just picked up 6 chromis from my lfs. Thought everything looked good but when I started acclimating the bag I was able to get a closer look and saw a red spot on one of them. I took a picture and sent it to the guy at the lfs. He thought it was an injury from a rock or another fish. But I’m worried it could be a disease or something I don’t want to bring into my tank. This is my first tank and I only have 2 clowns a goby and some corals so not much experience with identifying sick fish yet. Anyone concerned and think I shouldn’t introduce them to the tank?

677D7DD9-1D12-4D5C-909F-689A5C924F1E.jpeg
Could be Uronema, that is so often misidentified as an "injury" in green chromis. If you haven't seen it, here is an article I wrote on the topic:

It isn't really treatable - once you see the lesions reach the surface, it is too late.

The good news is that Uronema normally feeds on bacteria, it is present in many aquariums, and never causes an issue. I see it in newly acquired green chromis, anthias and some wrasses. I also see it when fish are being run in hyposalinity.

As @Isopod80 said, the store should be contacted to see about taking it back. Even if it is from being hit by a net (doubtful) they should still be responsible for that, right?

Jay

OP
OP
shocker8786

shocker8786

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the advice, I’m going to try and take him back. With the concern of uronema, would you quarantine the rest or take them all back since they have been in contact with the 1?

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the advice, I’m going to try and take him back. With the concern of uronema, would you quarantine the rest or take them all back since they have been in contact with the 1?
I'd return them all. Not worth the risk. Like I said, I'd give them back for free if I had to.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back